1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a good way to figure out how to price your bass for selling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric_71, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Hi guys/girls-

I wasn't really sure how to do an effective search for this topic, and maybe you all can just weigh in directly, so apologies if this is a bit redundant.

I have an Ibanez SR1000EWN 4-string (I was never sure what the EWN meant -- walnut?) I bought a few years ago, and I am thinking about selling it now. However, I'm having a little difficulty getting a good read on where to price it for my local CL. Ebay doesn't seem to have that many of them that have sold, and a lot of the "FS Ibanez SR1000" searches I do come up with old results that I am not sure are relevant these days.

Do any of you have any tips on how to figure out the approximate used value of a not-super-common bass? I want to be reasonable, but it wouldn't make sense to sell it drastically below market. Any input you can offer would be appreciated!

2. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    There's no magical equation to it, and a lot of it is subjective. Some basses "hold" their value, and some don't. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, people think Made-in-America basses are the only ones worth paying a good used price for. Anything made overseas, even if it's a Prestige Ibanez, won't go for much just because it's foreign.

I would say, start around 75% of what you paid new for it, and consider giving some concessions for things like:

Wear and tear
    Modifications done
    The fact that people don't like foreign stuff

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I think you have the right idea, go back to eBay and check the "completed listings" to see what similar basses sold for. If there's not your exact model, compare yours to the models that did sell, and adjust up or down accordingly.

4. E is for ebony. I've also got an SR1000 & am curious as to it's worth (although not selling). They're quite scarce but I doubt they're worth a lot. A great bass, mines been my go to for 20+ years.

5. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Thanks for that info.

My *guess* is around $700-750, but I really don't know. I should probably just keep it around for when I'm interested in it again, but I bought a P-bass recently and I think that's the direction I'm headed in. The Ibanez is nicer quality, but the neck and simple controls on the P just seem more my speed.

6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    1.) Hit yourself in the face really hard and throw away any previously held ideas.
    2.) Look at places that are selling similar basses and create an array of prices for yourself. (Ebay, the classified ads here, GC's website)
    3.) Put your bass in the available range based on its condition.
    4.) Remember that your emotional attachment to the bass doesn't matter and that older doesn't mean more valuable.

I've found that at this moment in our economy, basses in the US sell for between 60% to 40% of their original purchased value. Unless there is something really collectable about them.

7. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Fair enough. I bought this used for pretty cheap (guess I was the beneficiary of those bad prices), so pretty much anything would be a profit for me and thankfully those emotional things don't apply this time.

The trouble is ebay returns 0 results for SR1000. Maybe a better question would be "How are the model numbers arranged for ibanez?" How much nicer is an SR1000 than an SR500?

8. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Another way to look at it...
    a music store will generally offer 25% of the retail value.
    They will generally then tag it/ sell it for appx 50% (dealer cost new, generally) off retail and then discount from there as it sits around not selling.

More often than not.. 40-50% off current retail is where I would START my asking price, unless it's unique, special or vintage, then it's a different ball game..

9. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I thought you were supposed to look on eBay for current and completed listings. Then since the bass "YOU OWN" is so much better than every other one in the known world you start by asking 25% more than anybody else. Then wonder why the rest of the world can't see that your bass is incredibly under priced and should be the object of an intense bidding war.

10. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
  11. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Really? It looks like the one I have.

12. If they made a non-P/J 1000 it's news to me (although I am far from an expert). Now I'm even more interested.

13. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Search TB classifieds for what your trying to sell.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Pay the $20 and just ask...

Or just browse ebay and tb classifieds see what they have sold for.