What's a good way to learn to read music?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Komakino, Apr 19, 2002.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Why, thanks DURRL. I learn from the best. :)

I do swear by that book. Lots of good stuff in it.

The past few weeks at my bass lessons my teacher has been giving me these site-reading 'quizzes'. (Dunno if I've mentioned this elswhere). He'd place a sheet of music in front of me I've never seen before and have me look it over for a few minutes and then, with metronome on, I have to play it. I'm happy to say I've been doing pretty good with them. Only a few mistakes (and quite stupid mistakes at that LOL). I've been liking these quizzes b/c they've shown me what I need to work on.

2. Hey CASH FLOW thanx for the Finale reference...

...only problem is it doesn't play back. Why would that be? My computer maybe?

Oh well thanx anyway...

TOO LATE MISTER

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, it must be your computer. PM JMX, he'll probably know how to fix it, or you can PM me and we can figure it out.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I would also recommend a transcription of theBach Cello Suites. While rhythmically they don't have a lot of variety, they are an excellent source for becoming more familiar with recognizing pitches and intervals. (Of course I recommend picking up a recording to go with this).

I 2nd that...I have a copy of them, and they helped my reading emensly. I didnt dig the rhythm to it much. Mostly 1/16 notes, so its not that challanging as far as that goes. But its got lots of other stuff to confuse the daylights outta you.

Fourth, Standing in the Shadows of Motown provides some excellent chops-buster tunes. This book contains transcriptions to a number of Motown tunes that James Jamerson played on. They vary from basic to quite advanced.

I just got this book from the library today. You arent kidding IMO even some of the basic ones are hard. At least for me, because Im still having a bit of a problem with rhythmic values..dotted 1/4 notes and syncopation. So if you're new to site reading or not that experienced with it, they'll give you a good workout too.....thanks for turning me onto it azzho :eek: ;)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021