Whats a great 2x10, with tweeter, Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jan 14, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I plan on running an
    avalon pre-amp...1/3 octave EQ,( have not decided). ..dbx compressor/limiter...1000watt Power amp,( have not decided), into a speaker set up that would include a subwoofer. For my mids and highs I initially was going to go with a basic 4x10, tweeter cab, but then I thought, well hell, do I need 4x10, if I'm going to be running through small club PA's anyways? Is this 2x10 idea a bad one? Do I need a 4x10 cabinet? If a 2x10 cab is ok, what do you reccommend?

Klark Kent
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My two current favorites are both 8 ohm cabs. Mesa Boogie Road Ready 2x10 and Eden D210XLT. Rated at about 375-400watts RMS. IMO, you could easily use 2x10's of that caliber in a biamp system quite successfully and you would have the added benefit of a smaller, more manageable rig for small rooms.
  3. The Rane GE30 is probably one of the very best 1/3 octave interpolating EQ out there. For some reason, they sell ridiculously cheap on eBay (when they can be found). They sell for $560 at new-discount price, and I paid $128 for mine. The eBay average is $131.

The Rane ME60 is far more plentiful, and almost always for sale on eBay, average price is $258, and this is a 1/3 octave interpolating stereo EQ.

Don't skimp on the power amp. Get at least 2400 watts (QSC PLX 2402) minimum. Power is cheap, get all you can possibly afford, and avoid having to trade up later. If you are going to run a true subwoofer, you ARE going to need it. Plan on running the full range cab in one amp channel and the sub in the other. Get enough power in each channel to do the job.

A very loud 2x10 such as the Eden or SWR can be supplemented with subwoofers to make up the missing bottom. Or the 2x10 can be taken without the sub to small gigs.

If bottom is more important to you, consider a 2x10 that isn't so loud, but has more low end. The Eden D-210MBW or N-210P are two that fit this requirement.
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you're going to run big power with that much E.Q.
    Look at the Acme stuff. It truly excells at that kind of thing.

You'll be able to use the graphic to model the sound of just about any cabinet you want. You won't need a sub (trust me) and what hits your ear will be exactly what you send to the board.

The latter being a much bigger deal than people give it credit for. IMHO of course.
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    All of the above are very nice options. Check out the Genz Benz 210T-XB2 if you can find one. I think that you'll be impressed.