Whats a nice 5 string active thats good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armidex, Aug 30, 2000.

1. armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    Yeh im prolly gonna get a new bass soon, ive got a fender jazz standarded but i wanna upgrade to a 5 string active
    Whats my best bet. im from australia so stuffs bit more expensive coz of the import tax and all
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Get a Cort Artisan A5 or a Cort Curbow 5
  3. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i woudl reccomend anyhting form the Ernie Ball musicman series. they are more affordable than a lot of brands, and they are very versatile and apropriate to fit many different types of music.
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I like my Carvin LB75 a lot. Very reasonably priced, well-made, nice-playing, good-sounding basses. Available with a variety of pickup options -- mine's got the stacked-humbucker J-style jobbies on it, but they also have a single-coil J-style and a Musicman-style humbucker to choose from. Check their Web site at http://www.carvin.com.
  5. Yamaha TRB5II. Not too expensive, sounds good, plays easy, and looks good.

6. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Modulus Quantum 5. Simply AWESOME.

I'm gonna get a Quantum 6 as soon as i get some cash.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland 55-94. Try one of these, and you'll never go back to sheep.
  8. Get a Peavey Cirrus if you're looking to not spend too much on a great active 5. I've got a Peavey TL-5 which I really love, not like some of the other crap they made before, but anyway, the Cirrus basses are where it's at, if you like the look of them.
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    heres a more inexpensive active 5 Dean Edge Q5. they're about $510. nice feeling neck,pickups sound ok. that's all
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Are you happy with your Fender Standard? If you are why dont you upgrade to the Fender 5 String Deluxe Active Jazz bass? Another quality 5 is the Ibanez Sr805, I own both so Im a little biased, but the Fender definatly has better presence and tone than the Ibanez does. Thats just my opinion though. Yamaha also makes a pretty good 5 string too.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely try a Roscoe Beck, they are better than the Stingray.

Also, try a Lakland 55-94, a Modulus Quantum 5, Modulus Genesis and Pedulla Rapture 5. They are all a level above the Fender or the Music Man.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Damn right!!! And Due to the low sales from self-conscious People who wont be seen with Peavy on there headstock, You can find them pretty cheap. I've seen em for like $750 new.
    I love mine. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Well, maybee JT's double-neck ;).
  13. If you've got the finances, consider a Sadowsky 5 string: Jazz, PJ, or 24 fret model. Not a bang for buck like some of the brands mentioned above but truly a great instrument.