Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a nice country to work in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Men of the world, I need your help!

You see, my degree demands a certain amount of work training and my study schedule is fashioned in a bit more special way, so today I got a suggestion from the executive of my branch that instead of studying I might want to be working for the whole spring - which actually would speed my graduation up!

So, I have the option of doing the training in virtually any country, which is where you fellows hopefully step in. What I would need is suggestions for a nice civilized country to spend a nice spring while working on the field of construction - and where I could get by with english, at least somewhat. Anything else is a bonus.

So far, I got only Japan and Ireland on my list.. :meh:

2. questions:

what is your degree?

whats wrong with japan and ireland? those two would be on the top of my list! no joke. perhaps australia?

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oh, sorry, BEng in Architecture and Construction.

Of course Japan and Ireland are nice countries, but I'd just like to hear other people's views and opinions - you all probably know your neighbours better than I!

Australia seems like a nice country, but for some reason I haven't been able to find decently priced flights in Jan. I will definitely consider Oz, though - it would be on the top of my list with the other two.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    apparently New Zealand is the last bastion of untainted food in the world, plus being purty to boot.

Italy has the finest quality of life of anywhere I have been in the world.

There is no place like NYC anywhere else on the planet.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Italy.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From everything I know, New Zealand rocks my world!

Aside from the fact that their gorgeous scenery includes everything from desert to Alpine-type mountains, the main attraction to me is that their government has it so together!!!!

From what I've read, they used to have all these worthless, fat-ass, bureaucracies as most countries do. They did some instrospection and said, "This is a waste!"

So, if I understand it all correctly, these bureaucracies are formed, ah hoc, or contracted temporarily and work for as long as they are useful, to solve whatever the problem/issue is.
    Bottomline, they have the most cost-effective, lean-machine, government/bureaucracy of which I know.

However, I guess the selection of bass gear down there is comparatively lean. :p

Nonetheless, I could care less if someone called me a "Kiwi".....I think I'd just laugh and say, "You can always wish."

7. Canterbury's out then? Given a choice of Japan and Ireland, I would of course say Japan! But I've never been there. The people here are pretty friendly and easy to get along with, plus we speak English!

8. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    also Italy, only it's very difficult to get a job there, my brother lived over there for a year and couldn't get work. Don't come here, you'll pay way too much taxes.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Never been to New Zealand but have been to Tasmania a few times and i would give a kidney to be able to move there. absolutle beautiful place and friendly people. and since it is in the southern hemisphere you would be getting there in the summer to fall time frame if you are leaving here in Jan.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm afraid so :(

Canterbury would had been nice place to go, but it wouldn't had been exactly on the spot for my studies and I trust that my schools executive knows what good for his students.

Alas, this is the THIRD time my plans change. Is it the charm? Dunno, but it teaches that if you're planning to go abroad to study, start planning well ahead! :spit:

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Iraq. Thanks to our generous, heapin' helpin of democracy there are opportunities galore there! I hear Disney is opening a park soon.

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ethiopia.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1 to New Zealand (where I was born) or Australia (where I live) both are nice places to live. That said, the work in NZ / Tasmania (a state of Australia for those who don't know) would not be as readily available as in other parts of Australia.

FWIW Rickbass the NZ government is no less beauracratic than any other government, although it is a lot smaller and therefore the "people" get heard more than a lot of larger communities. They also have special representation for the indigenous population.

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Canada's pretty awesome. Like, on the west coast. Vancouver is a really great city. :cool:

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ireland - 10% income tax rox me :D!

16. Is that supposed to be low? :meh:

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Compared to Australia?

We pay up to 48.5% in income tax (on earnings over $80k) and a 10% sales tax!

18. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Makes me proud to be an American.

19. Come to Australia.

The ladies love Finnish guys.

Plus this country is freaken beautiful!

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Don't you have both State, Federal and Local taxes?

From what I am told, the average rate of tax is almost the same in the US and Australia.