Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a nice fretless bass for under $800?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewis7789, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Hi guys. I'm in the market for a fretless. Nothing too fancy, with only an $800 limit. Right now I only have my trusty Fender Jazz, and I'm thinking about another Fender Jazz from Japan. Which brings up another question:

Fretlines or a "clean" neck? I defretted my old Ibanez a couple years ago and I played it for about a year, so I'm used to fretlines, but I love the way a clean neck looks. Which do you guys prefer?

I play mostly jazz/funk/jam band music. I've seen some nice fretless's's's on eBay, but I'm still not sure what to go with. I have small hands and am used to my Fender Jazz, so I figured another Jazz would be easier for me to transition between the two basses at gigs? Not that I'm endorsed by Fender or anything.

Thanks for all opinions and advice! :)

p.s.- I searched for any similar topics before posting and am sincerely sorry if this is a re-post. I'm new to the site and am SO happy I found a community of bassists!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I've seen factory fretless MIJ '62 Js and late 70s Ibanez Musician fretlesses (the REAL Sting sig model) on Ebay in your price range.

Both are good choices. The Ibanez is the better bass, but the J would probably be more comfortable for you.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A used Stingray fretless is in your price range. A new MTD Kingston or Heir is in your range too. All three are really nice fretlesses for the price.

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I'm with you on looks, unlined look very sharp. But it's those moments where I get completely lost: if I didn't have lines, it'd take longer to recover :D. At least above the 7th fret for me...

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I play a MIM Jazz with lines for practice, and gig with an unlined MIJ.

6. For a more traditional fretless sound, and the option of a nasalish tone (bridge pickup soloed) how about a Warwick Corvette? Personally I dig them.

Oh, for something different, something with a DBish tone, have you looked at the Lightwave Saber?

http://www.lightwave-music.com/Products/category.php?prod=S

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I'm selling my Kingston 5. :crying:
    Check the classifieds and pm me. I'm selling mine for half of $800 , which when I do the math... hold on, (carry the 1. mulitply by pi, FOIL, e=mc2) .. oh, $400 with a hardshell case. And it is in minty minty conidtion, so mint there isn't even 1 NOT 1 buckle rash on the back!

8. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

BassDmb18, sorry man. As much as I'd like to help you out, I'm not looking for a 5.

The Warwick Corvette looks very appealing. I've only played a Warwick one before, but it was nice. Seems like everyone has them? I'd prefer something with Jazz style pups, like the Corvette and Jazz. And I love the long upper horns on Warwicks, they keep the bass more upright, no? I'm always having to pull my Fender back up.

Rhythmalism, I know what you mean. I tried playing some Jaco on an unlined fretless last week and got so lost around the 12th fret, it was embarassing...