1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a "plank neck"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I didn't see anywhere in the add that said Plank anything.

The only Plank I've heard thrown around would be a BLANK PLANK referring a fretless without lines.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

It says this in the description:
    BODY WOOD: Phoenix
    NECK WOOD: Maple
    FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
    20 Frets with Bolt-on rosewood plank neck
    Tons of fun for adults and children.
    BRAND NEW Un-Branded to save you money!

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Could they mean a "slab fingerboard" instead?

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Beats me

6. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I usually use the term plank when describing necks that feel awful i.e."that bass felt like a plank with strings" that bass looks like junk,what is pheonix wood? it must be something the guy made up that he just thought sounded cool.

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Plank neck = Fender construction type.

8. means bad translation to English from whatever language this description was originally written.

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Paulownia. Light weight, very soft, and cheap.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It works fine on my 3 basses with Paulownia bodies.

Here's one:

[​IMG]

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The description is not 100% accurate - as the neck is clearly maple and not rosewood, so don't worry about it. It is a great deal.

These are cool little basses. Our drummer has one that looks just like a mini P bass with a full size head, and I recently bought one made by Corsair. Both sound like full size Ps but with less sustain and are fun to play and easy to carry around.

The only issue is that of getting replacement strings. If you install regular strings and cut them down, they won't be at the right tension, and they may not fit in the tuners. I am in the process of trying to get some from Corsair.

also - I think that the super-short scale will probably be very hard to play fretless accurately. Sure there are the fretless Kala Basses, etc. but that doesn't mean it is easy.

12. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    BODY WOOD: Phoenix
    NECK WOOD: Maple
    FINGERBOARD: Rosewood

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Kind of reminds me of the guitar from Back To The Future.

14. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Plank to me means;
    One piece neck, not multi-laminated.

15. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    my guitarist has a paulownia dean that weighs about a pound,which is very cool,if you play for hours at a time standing up. why didnt the guy just say paulownia?

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I got it yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. The strings are indeed shyte, but the intonation is fairly good. I've heard the short scale D'Addario's and GHS are the shortest of short-scales, and I think the lightest gauge possible would work best. It's very light weight and the paint looks and feels fairly awful, but it sounds decent enough. I'm plugged into a tiny little guitar amp so I can't judge the sound very well yet. I have a fretless ubass so I know what you mean. The bridge seems pretty awful but overall it's really a decent little bass. Much better than what I was expecting. I've been GASing for the Tony Franklin fretless pbass, but this little piece of crap just might quell that urge for a while if it survives a defretting, or make it worse and force me to spend 1600 bucks. I'll take some pictures and post them later today.

17. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    What's the scale length, nut width and string spread on it?

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    29" from the bridge to the E tuning post, 27" from the bridge to the nut. I'll measure the nut width and string spread later today.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Though the string spread did feel very close to a Hofner Beatles bass. It feels like they kept the neck width wide enough to be playable. The head stock and neck width are fairy large compared to the teeny tiny body.

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    az87iw.
    w9i7vq.
    5w9e6f.
    wlrjg6.
    281u7pt.

I deeply apologize for exposing my toes to the world.