what's a really good powered mixer?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, Apr 11, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey kids, kill me for not searching.

here's the deal, sometime in the next year or so i'd like to pick up a powered mixer and a couple of smaller pa cabs for small to mid size rooms. i know my way around a "real" pa quite well, i just don't want one. ;)

so, what i'm looking for is hopefully something with seperate power sections for mains and monitors (mono is a-ok), reasonable "real" power, and a fairly decent sound.

i'm really just going to use it for vox and maybe a bit of guitar reinforcement, the occasional acoustic or keys, nix on bass and drums.

any suggestions of REALLY GOOD ones to look out for new or used?
  2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I say give Mackie a shot. I have a 408M and it's great for the small medium venue gig. There are several models 404, 408, 808 etc... in mono and stereo (S or M designations). These have good power and lots of features for a decent price, in a single, easy-to-carry-with-one-hand package. I think I saw some used on ebay. Check here for more info http://www.mackie.com/products/808m/
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've used the Yamaha EMX88S with good results.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How many channels do you contemplate needing? The Allen & Heath, high end Soundcraft, or Yorkville ones are probably the best I've seen, but they're far from cheap. The A&H Icon is reputed to be really good, it has a digital mixer section with independent compression, EQ, EFX, etc. for every channel, plus for all the mix busses.

A friend just bought one of these: Soundcraft GigRac 1000. It seems like great value for $450, but I'll report back after we try it on a gig next week. It sounded fine at rehearsal, and worked well feeding an ADAT for recording the other night as well.
  5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

like i said, and you probably already know, i know my way around a "real" PA, (and help do sound on a regular basis including some real PITA gigs). I'm just looking for something to play small to medium clubs where the volume isnt rediculous.

channels? gosh 6-8 would be dandy. I'm really just looking for vox work, maybe an acoustic and if a keyboard player is really lazy i'll let him have a channel, but i ain't promising him "killer tone". i suppose micing tiny G amps might happen, but i'd rather keep it simple. the idea is to use it with musicians who are reasonable and can tame their volume w/o the need for a nazi soundman. (this is supposed to be fun right?)

as far as effects etc goes, i'm not picky. i bus would be cool, if there is built in delay type fx that's wonderful, but i'd ratehr keep the stuff "dry". i'm more into having seperate mixes for mains and monitors, a graphic for the monitors would be nice, and i'd like it to have seperate poweramps for monitors and mains.

wattage? i dunno. for just vox probably not tons. I'm probably going to use something like a set of bag end TA series speakers with twelves and horns, no fifteens. I dunno the specs on them, but IME, they are pretty darned efficient and sound very good with a lot of definition.

ok i'm done.

any other thoughts?
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The GigRac has 500 watts for mains, 500 for monitors (both @ 4 ohms, second channel can be stereo mains instead of monitor), separate graphic EQs for stereo mains and mono monitor output regardless of power amp assignation, EFX return to monitors available, 8 mike channels, decent sounding EFX, and can be carried easily by a shoulder strap. I thought it sounded and felt better than the Mackie 800 series, and it costs a few hundred bucks less. There are less powerful versions for even cheaper too. It's rare that you'll see me recommend something so inexpensive, so I guess I'll wait until I hear it on a gig, at least. :cool:

With all that being said, I'm seriously contemplating getting the Icon.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Onyx is not powered.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mackie 808S or 808M. They're the box type, but they probably sound better than the CFX series, which are still OK.
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I bought a Yamaha EMX 5000 a month or two ago and I'm very pleased. They can be had for around $550 and they are loaded with features. I set it up so monitors and mains have separate mixes/power. 500W @ 4ohms for each. Very portable, very convenient, very flexible with plenty of outs, including a designated sub out, if you need to expand.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't know jack about PA... but I can tell you this...

One of the acts I've worked with for the past couple of years has used a Mackie "box" - likely one of the ones already mentioned in this thread. Along with that they have a pair of JBL M-Pro subs and small JBL mains. On the smallest gigs the Mackie runs the JBL mains, and on medium gigs the M-Pro subs power themselves and the mains, while the Mackie powers the monitors.

Nice, modular, scalable, sounds pretty decent... what's not to like?