What's a really punchy 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baalroo, Feb 5, 2009.

1. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well, I'm wanting a 2x10 that has a ton of Midrange punch to add into my rig. I don't care about the lower frequencies too much, just the mids and maybe upper mids.

My requirements are:

- under $300 (used market counts), but cheaper is DEFINITELY better... on a tight budget right now.
    - two 1/4" jacks (no single jack ext. cabs)
    -8 Ohms

What would you suggest?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    All of them. Most all 210's will give you that.

3. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    lol, well I already know that man. I'm asking for the punchiest of the punchy.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Totally IMO but the Avatar 210s with Deltas in them (pre-Neo) are the punchiest cabs I've ever had. Not much in the low end, but lots of nice mids to upper mids.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Who knows? Maybe your idea of punchy is different than someone else. Best thing is to go play a few and make up your own mind.

6. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    well that wouldn't make for a very interesting topic, now would it?

:D

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Got news for ya, pal...this topic comes up once a day ;)

8. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    strange, I never noticed.

9. TLW

TLW

Dec 23, 2007
    St.Louis, MO area
    I'll vouch for Jimmy, it does.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, after some thought, I had a couple ideas. Like Markbass. Markbass makes possibly the most upper middy cab I've heard. It makes people either love it or hate it, but it's full of mids if you want it. But you can't get a 210 for $300. That would get my vote for closest to what you're talking about, other than the money.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    "punchy" to me talks of strong lower mids. you want lots of upper mids, so i'm guessing you'd like alot more "cut" in your sound.

given your price, gotta go used. i.e. aguilar s210, db210, swr 210, maaaaaybe an epifani ul210.

12. I found the Fender 210 PRO to be a DAMN punchy 210 w/ plenty of mids & Lows. DAMN good 210 AFAIK. A friend uses one as his main squeeze & adds a Fender 1x15" when needed(basically a TL606 copy-but still a beauty!!) They don't get a lotta wraps & Maybe U can find 'em Cheap too????????

13. Just picked up a used Markbass 210 at the local GC for $200. :hyper: It can be done. Just keep your feelers out for one.

14. Sir, I hate you!

15. hmmm... if only somebody local was selling an SWR 2x10 and 15 cabinet for a stupid low (local only) price...

16. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I told you I would buy the 210 in a few weeks if you still have it, get off my **** back. :D

I was actually asking this question trying to find the final piece of my rig of doom puzzle assuming I purchased your gear and mated it with my current gear.

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The most growliest 210 ever IMO is the Eden 210XLT. Expensive new, but they come up used quite often. Its a bit large for a 210 but sounds so freakin good when paired with another cab underneith.

18. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    I agree, If you can find an eden used it will have the low mid character you're looking for.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021