Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a rectifier?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by register, Mar 3, 2003.

1. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    So, uh, what's a rectifier do? What does it mean that the 2000s, despite being a tube amp, has a 'solid state' rectifier? Does this influence the tone? Thanks!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A rectifier is an electronic component that converts alternating current to direct current in the power supply of your amp.

A solid state rectifier (diode) allows more headroom as it isn't likely to pull down the power supply voltage under heavy load.

A tube rectifier, when pushed causes the power supply voltage to sag creating a nice "brown sound". Tends to mush up the low end as your amp loses power when power draw is greatest...like at low frequencies. Generally good for guitar amplification, but not for bass for most applications.

Don't remember the last tube bass amp to use tube rectifiers.

Make any sense?

3. The Ampeg B-25B uses a tube rectifier.

Chris

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Like I wrote...I don't remember....must be an advanced case of CRS (can't remember s..t)

Anyway, I kind of meant big tube amps like SVTs, big Mesas and the like...it makes more sense for a small tube amp to have a tube rectifier...

5. Yep, pretty much only the smaller amps used a tube rectifier - anything under 50 Watts or so. The original Sunn 2000S had a couple of 5AR4's in its original setup since it was just a couple of Dynaco MK3's.

The big boys pretty much always have and always had solid state rectifiers. Even in the 1960's the 100W Fender Showman had a solid state rectifier because it was supposed to be the Professional Grade amp.

Chris