1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's a simple, yet effective compressor for cheap?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I've recently swapped out my rig at church for just a head and a 410 and a 210. I love the tone of that head but I realize that in that room, filled with a lot of people in a small place and wood ceilings, that my church rig can sound rather boomy. The bass frequencies run wild in there when I turn up. My other rig had an Alesis 3630 compressor but I'm currently using that rig for my 3 bands.

So......I was wondering if there was a good compressor out there that would even out my tone when I have to get a little louder. Is there something in a foot pedal form that would cost around $50? If there's more than one which one have you tried out and which ones would you recommend?

Edit: Just got a BBE Optostomp and got to use it at church this morning. I was quite impressed with it. Not a bad unit for the $58 I paid for it.

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'd keep an eye on the For Sale: Accessories forum for a BBE OptoStomp. That would be the cheapest pedal that gets good reviews. I think they go for around $60 shipped on the forum.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Exactly.

4. BBE OptoStomp eh? I like BBE stuff too. I use a Sonic Maximizer in my main rig.

5. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    ToadWorks Mr. Squishy would be my suggestion.. Ive had the BBE OptoStomp and Aphex Punch Factory. I sold the Punch Factory and traded the BBE for Mr. Squishy. 3 knobs, quiet, and does a good job limiting peaks on filters and such.
    Good sound. IME/IMO.
    You can find all 3 of these mentioned for about 50-60 dollars each on Ebay, craiglist, TB classifieds, etc.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1 for the BBE OptoStomp

7. I have a lowly old DOD Milk Box- Bongo will tell you they're crap, but I don't know any better, and like it a lot. :cool: Alesis' Nanocomp or the older Microlimiter is about as nice in my world. I didn't care much for the Punch Factory.

8. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    +1 bbe opto stomp

9. I'm headed out to check some stores to see if they have any BBE's or Mr. Squishy's. I'll see what else they have too. Thanks for the replies guys. Wish me luck.

10. Has anyone tried the MAXON COMPANDOR?

11. Not yet.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a BBE Opto Stomp. Works fine. Cheap. I'm happy.

13. It seems to me like the problems that you're having with boom are coming from room acoustics, which won't be remedied by a compressor. You should probably look into an EQ instead. A parametric or semi-parametric would probably be your best bet.

14. Well, while you're probably right, I did notice that the compressor I had on my other rack did a great job with allowing my tone to be heard clearly and squeezing the highs and lows just enough to keep the low end deep but not boomy. I have an onboard preamp that helps with boosting the mids but I'm still lacking the same cutting tone that my other rig had. Me getting a small compressor is worth a shot IMO. If it doesn't work then I'll just turn around and sell it here on TB. If it does work like the other one did then I'll be happy.

15. you can find another alesis 3630 for close to $60-70 on ebay, a little more than you wanted to spend but you know what your getting and im sure it workes better than a stomp box!!

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Might want to check of Bongomania's review of the 3630.

Another vote for the BBE Opto-Stomp. A word of caution: don't stare directly at the face plate while activating the BBE OS. The blue LED indicator will burn your retinas out.

Riis

17. Just got a BBE Optostomp last week and finally used it this morning. It really allowed me to boost up my mids and bass without getting too boomy. It gave me a really nice fingerstyle tone and plenty of thump without all the mud you get from frequencies flying everywhere. Great little unit.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I may have to stick mine back in the signal path again.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nonsense! I've never used it. Unless the manufacturer/marketing insults the customers' intelligence in some way, I endeavor not to say anything is "crap" until I've tried it out.

20. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    seems like BBE optostomp is getting alot of love here in TB, I am just wondering about their other products as i have no means of trying them out, i am very curious about their Mind Bender (chorus) and their free fuzz, and crusher. anyone?