1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's a small,light,GREAT....15" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quadrogong, Jun 27, 2007.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I tried a markbass 15" at GC and was pleasantly surprised,

it wasnt their tiny one,but it made me wonder how much thickness and low end a 15" speaker can put out in one of those tiny cabinets?

I'm trying to downsize my rig, thinking of buying a littlemark II,today or tomorrow,
    and adding a couple of mini 15's, for portability.
    gonna try those markbass travel 15's later today,
    anyone think of a small,lightweight 15 that'll give me strong,tight lows?
    thnx,kev

2. I like my Bag End S-15X-D. I've often seen them somewhat disparaged due to their 'lack of low end', but mine goes plenty deep for me- & very clearly. I play 5 & 6 strings though a D-180 or WT-400. Not really a mini-cab, & at 44 lbs not ultra-lightweight, but again, for me worth it.

3. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    budget is like $400-$550,i'd go new,used.. like to spend less, but willing to spend more for something amazing.

I like that modern,tight,subsonic low end
    (likeR&B/hip hop/reggae) clean w lots of hdroom.
    I don't really need a mini cab,more important is getting the tone..
    but hoping to keep it small/light,like 40-50 lbs if i can!
    my 4x10 and 18" are both heavy.
    mostly,I want the latest technology,something that'll "wow" me,tone-wise.

btw.. http://www.lowdownsound.com was quite amazing! i'm surprised I've never seen them before, what a used section!..

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm a huge fan of the discontinued Berg HT115, and even more compact (but somewhat heavy) is the Ashdown Mini15, which is pretty nice as well. Trace Elliot 1x15's are also worth checking out. The Accugroove Tri 115L and Epifani UL-115 are fantastic, but a bit on the large side.

You might also consider a custom box from Low Down Sound or Dr. Bass. I have owned cabs from both, and they both build a very nice cab.

Tom.

5. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    right now I'm leaning towards epifani and markbass,
    I'd like to try EA as well.

the markbass standard 15" sounded so fine at GC,nobody seems to talk about them,but paired with the littlemarkII it was perfect sounding.
    getting that littlemark this week for sure,gonna upgrade the cabinets next..

6. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Have you considered the MesaBoogie Scout cabs?
    I have the 12" version and it sounds HUGE.
    Very light weight and I like the kinda-retro style.

7. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    And let us not forget about GK? Hmmmmm?

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I agree - I wouldn't limit yourself to just 15", some smaller drivers loaded in a properly designed cabinet sound very good, and go deep.

9. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Bag End S15D

10. I have a Trace Elliot Compact 15 that gets the job done real well for smaller venues when my 4x10 is too much. I picked it up in pristine condition at a Pawn Shop for next to nothing.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I recently picked up a used Eden D115. Surprisingsly light at 50LBS. Sounded great with the stock speaker. I dropped in a 4 ohm Kappa Pro LF and now it sounds amazing.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    EA does not currently offer a 1x15, nor do I know of any plans for them to do so (though I'd love to hear one if they did!). But, they do offer a variety of excellent cabs that you may want to consider if the 1x15 is not an ironclad requirement.

Tom.

13. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    I've been happy with my Trace Elliot 1x15, too. I've got the 1153 model. Compact, light weight, and can usually be had for under $200.

14. You can find these for around 150.00

15. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I was actually considering an EA 4x10,I'd heard they sound great with sadowsky,
    and are 70 lbs or something.
    I have a rehearsal space where I keep my "big" rig,it's basically where I store my gear,and where my band rehearses.
    I've moved one of these cabinets in the last 3 years.

I also play a variety of gigs and rehearsals
    throughout the week, for my band and other folks' bands..

For these I want a small,light rig,I usually need just a head for nyc clubs, and If I go to other studios or clubs I'd like to be able to have at least one 15" to move around or record with.

So I thought maybe a 4x10 EA
    or an Epi UL 3x10 for the studio space,
    then a 15" or perhaps two of them to move to gigs,sessions..
    these need to be smaller.

although I'm considering keeping my bigben with the bagend 18" in it for my stay at home cab.It's old,heavy,but supplies great low end.
    But that's about it,only low end.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021