1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

whats a theremin?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Sep 27, 2008.

1. its this thing

erie noise yet i want one
    any one ever play one of these
    i heard Jimmy Page used one

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Google reveals all- go check it out. :) It's a synthesizer that is controlled by waving your hands around two antennas. Even though it's not an effect, you'll find some discussion of it over on the fx forum. Also, while the Moog ones are really nice, the basic idea is easy to build cheaply with LDR's instead of those antennas, and that also means you can buy cheap homemade ones on Ebay all the time.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    There's always lots of them on eBay. Check it out. It's an instrument that attracts attention.... but then the painful discovery; this is just about the most difficult instrument in the world to play. Good luck. Buy a cheapy and see how it goes. The Moog is a fine instrument and, while there are others that cost a bit more, the Moog is equal to anything on the market.

4. Clara Rockmore, the worlds first and perhaps only concert theramin virtuoso:

5. There's a really interesting documentary about it called Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey. I watched that a few years ago and it's the only reason I even know this thing exists. It was used heavily in 50s and 60s horror movies.

I would love to play around with one, but I don't know how long I could handle all those high frequencies. :bassist:

6. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I hear Anton LaVey was quite the theremin player.

Theremin playing robot doll!

7. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Do yourselves a favor and look up Pamelia Kursten. She can go from playing a vocal, almost violin-like solo, to a full on walking bass line. Incredibly talented.

8. I've had my Moog Etherwave theremin for about a week now and its absolutely the coolest thing I've ever played. It's also humbling. You need not only perfect pitch to play, but total body control - stance, breathing, these are all things that will affect how still you can keep your body so as to not lose the note.

They're really affordable too - I paid about $480 after taxes for my Moog. I say get one, I mean, it's not like you can't sell it if you don't like it. Be willing to dedicate a LOT of time to practicing though. I try to fit in an hour or two with it a day and my scales are coming along nicely. After scales I just throw on some tunes and do my best to play along. It's starting to sound less like a cat eating a baby in a blender, more like a theremin.

Oh yeah and you can run them through your bass rig, pedals and all. I use my old yorkville 400watt/115 combo for it and it's great.

Join the revolution! :ninja:

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  10. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I hate to admit it but I remember "Lothar and the Hand People". If you don't, look 'em up.

11. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida

She can't play, but I don't care. :D

12. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Since it's already been explained, I would be remiss to not mention my favorite band name if I played the theremin would have to be.....
    Ulma Theremin
    :)

13. The guys on my floor built one. Pretty cool stuff.