Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a tick-tack barse?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My seester is sooo curious.

2. An ancestor of the moose

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Is tick-tack bass the term?

It is a baritone guitar that was used in classic country music to double the bass line. Think Bass VI.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Yup. That's your 'tick-tack' bass.

Now, your 'tic-tac' bass... well, that's the bass you want to get the bassist whose breath could peel paint at 30 paces! :p

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    6-string basses were used for tic-tac, not baritones.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    6 string basses (as we know them today) didn't exist when those classic country songs were recorded.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

He didn't say that they were like the 6 string basses (as we know them today).

But, they were 6 string bass guitars. A baritone guitar is tuned BEADGB. A 6 string bass would have been tuned EADGBE an octave lower than a guitar. That's not a baritone guitar.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    bassmonkee, EGGZACTLY! What's weird is he even says "as we know them today", meaning he knows "6-string bass" meant something different back then.
    [​IMG]

9. Get you a copy of Ray Price's 'Night Life' album. Tic-tac bass lines all over it.

This album is a three way missing link between country, jazz, and blues - kinda like Willie Nelson. In fact, Willie wrote the title tune - he is the 'ol' boy from down texas way' that Ray talks about in the spoken intro.

:cool: 'The night life ain't no good life..But it's my life.."

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Excuse me, but I misspoke.

I'll try to not let it happen again.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    As long as the leotard in your avatar doesn't break and kill us all, you can misspeak whenever you want.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well it's actually Mooseknuckle Elvis. Not affiliated with Elvis Presley in any form.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Now, if you're going to say things like "Mooseknuckle Elvis," I'm going to have to ask you not to speak. Period. :D

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Might be for the best regardless.

15. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    There's my Jerry Jones tic-tac. I really dig it.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd love to pick one up. I keep thinking about getting an OLP Silhouette baritone and setting it up with a set of flat 30" scale strings.

But, I'd much rather have a devilhorn 6 string. If you ever decide to get rid of it.....hint...hint.... ;) :D

17. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    That's not too likely, I'm afraid. Happily, they aren't that expensive. Especially used. My bass was at Willie's Guitars in St. Paul, where it was lent out to a studio whenever they needed it. So, I gather, it appeared on a Bonnie Raitt recording. (I don't know which one, and she didn't sign it.)

I'd dig a MM tic-tac. (I didn't realize that OLP made one. I'll have to hunt around...) I'd love a fretless one (Hambone?). I have a luthier-built baritone guitar, too -- I seem to have set aside my Tele for now and migrated to these things for guitar work.

Here's my Holst bari:
    [​IMG]

Here's a recording of it with some unfortunate (in retrospect) chorus added to the track.

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I didn't really think it was going to happen. I just checked the Jerry Jones website--he'll do the 6 string longhorn with adjustable bridge, etc for $900. That's not bad at all. Especially in the color of my choice.

That Bari looks great. I'll check out the sound when I get home.

Here's the OLP:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/128729

Great. GAS...... :meh:

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Here's my Gretsch BassVI modded for left-handed playing
    [​IMG]
    Rock on!
    [​IMG]

20. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Here's the best deal I found on a new one. Nice people, too, but I found the used one for $100 less and it included a case.