1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a Trace-Elliot boxer like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Komakino, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Hey all,

Just wondering what you think about Trace-Elliot boxer 65 combo amp? I was thinking of getting one because a shop I've found has a reasonable deal on one and I don't have an amp yet.

I'm not in a band yet, so it wouldn't be used for gigging, and if I DO get in a band (which is what I want) it would only be used for intimate gigs.

So...opinions?

2. keep your eyes open for other amps as well..
    Trace Elliot is a bit pricy for what you get..

3. agreed, Trace Elliot do depreciate quickly on the secondhand market. A trace elliot can be had for as little as half of it's orig value, so keep your eyes open for a boxer if you like them.

equally, look for used bargains.

i have the boxer 30 for practicing, it's the first amp that i got , and its really good, its my sound now.

perhaps it lacks a little in the EQ settings, it has enough shaping, ie, bass, gain, mids, mid shift, treble and volume, but don't expect the same as an full stack would give you.

a lot of people run their little amps too high, so if your using an active turn the gain down a little.

it'll handle my active 5 string no problem, and it really does reproduce the sound accuratley, with little colouration.

all in all there a nice amp, they do what there meant to and there not badly priced.

go and have a play on it first before you buy and that way theres no worries.

4. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I tried the Boxer 65 when I was looking for a new combo awhile back (I ended up with the Ampeg B100R).

I though it sounded ok, but didn't get quite as loud as I wanted. If the price is right and it makes enough volume for you, great.