What's a Trace-Elliot boxer like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Komakino, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Hey all,

Just wondering what you think about Trace-Elliot boxer 65 combo amp? I was thinking of getting one because a shop I've found has a reasonable deal on one and I don't have an amp yet.

I'm not in a band yet, so it wouldn't be used for gigging, and if I DO get in a band (which is what I want) it would only be used for intimate gigs.

2. keep your eyes open for other amps as well..
    Trace Elliot is a bit pricy for what you get..
  3. agreed, Trace Elliot do depreciate quickly on the secondhand market. A trace elliot can be had for as little as half of it's orig value, so keep your eyes open for a boxer if you like them.

equally, look for used bargains.

i have the boxer 30 for practicing, it's the first amp that i got , and its really good, its my sound now.

perhaps it lacks a little in the EQ settings, it has enough shaping, ie, bass, gain, mids, mid shift, treble and volume, but don't expect the same as an full stack would give you.

a lot of people run their little amps too high, so if your using an active turn the gain down a little.

it'll handle my active 5 string no problem, and it really does reproduce the sound accuratley, with little colouration.

all in all there a nice amp, they do what there meant to and there not badly priced.

go and have a play on it first before you buy and that way theres no worries.
  4. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I tried the Boxer 65 when I was looking for a new combo awhile back (I ended up with the Ampeg B100R).

I though it sounded ok, but didn't get quite as loud as I wanted. If the price is right and it makes enough volume for you, great.