What's a tweeter do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Apr 11, 2001.

1. what exactly is its' purpose? i always see this word
  2. A tweeter is also known as a high frequencies driver, but all it really is is a type of speaker. It is a type of speaker made just to handle the higher frequencys of sound. A sub or subwoofer in comparison is just the opposite and made to handle the lower frequencies of of the sound spectrum. A woofer as you probably know is what loaded in most guitar and bass cabs and is right in the middle and is made to handle all the frequencies (and in the case of a bass cab share some of the frequencies that a sub reproduces) in between the sub and tweeter. There is also a midrange driver that is used in PA systems among many other applications that reproduces frequencies between a woofer and tweeter but they are rarely used in Bass guitar applications. Getting to the heart of you question you personally would have use for a tweeter in you bass cab to give you a higher frequency response and allow your bass sound to cover a much wider frequency range (in the upper range of course). The tweeter will give you a much brighter sound if that is what you want. Personally i do not like tweeters for me because all they seem to pick up for me is non musical clickity sounds from my playing (think Fieldy). But many bassists that are much better and sound better than me like tweeters in there cabs so it's just a personal preference, not to mention Fieldy uses those "non musical " sounds to add charecter to his sound.
  3. thanks for clearing all that up ! very informative.
  4. I should add that Have no problem with fieldy unlike most others here on TalkBass, in fact I was a huge fan of KoRns's back in the day. I even found Fieldy's bass sound and playing unique and interesting. Their music as of late is lacking though not to mention the band member seem to me to be money hungry jerks, but since I never met them I should say it's their public personas that are this way and can't really speak on them on a personal level.
  5. No problem, I hope it wasn't just alot of overkill. I think I went over the top on this one but I hope it helped.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I really don't know what they do, in terms of perception. In the few amps I've owned with them, I can't pick them out no matter how I set the crossover and biamp the head (dialing up the amplifier set aside for high frequencies). Old Ampegs, Sunns, Marshalls, Acoustics and Fender Showmans seemed to perform just fine without them.

Maybe it just blends so well into the total sound.
  7. Rickbass1 - have you listened to them while turning the crossover knob?
  8. rickbass

Fret- No, they were just part of the package, so I didn't give it much of second thought, since they were there to stay anyway.

I'll try it plucking some strings while adjusting, as you are suggesting. It may be like my BBE Sonic Maximizer and SansAmp Bass Driver. My initial impression of each was, "So what?" Then I tried bypassing them and, I thought, "Who killed my bass?!?!" (My ear is pretty acute since I grew up with music).

Now, I won't play out of the house without `em.
  9. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HEY! They for that HIGH SH*T!!!! hehe
  10. rickbass

Fret - Tried it last night - couldn't tell any difference. Maybe that's just Carvin or my tinninitus. Thanks for the idea, anyway.
  11. A tweeter is hardly ever bi-amped. Bi-amping is for, like, an 18 and a 2x10, sending the really fat low end to the 18 and the 2x10 doing the mid-bass and midrange. An adjustable tweeter will only let you adjust its volume.

Just to fill in some details.
  12. Joris - if you're referring to my post - I meant the "tweeter level" knob - my cab has one on the back.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Mine has a control knob in the back too. It's hard to play and stand behind the cabinet and listen to how it changes all at the same time. I need to have a kid so I can get him or her to turn my control knob while I play and listen.

Of course, I am trying to be funny and am in no way trying to be sarcastic or assh*lish in any way, even if it comes across that way. I am just saying, they should put that knob in the front or something.