1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats a tweeter?/Tweeters with guitar distortion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jagboy, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Sorry if i spelled that wrong. And I have the option to buy a Music Man HD-130 130 watt tube head and a 2x12 speaker cab (?) For $300. I am wondering if I can put a guitar through it with high distortion if it doesnt have a tweeter/tweeter is off. Thank you

JB

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes you can and [almost] NO ONE USES TWEETERS FOR GUITAR! Running a bass through open back guitar cabs is what you shouldn't do. My first amp was a hd 130 and I have never had a problem playing a guitar through it, in fact it is actually a better guitar amp then a bass amp.

3. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    So can I use the HD-130 for 5 string bass and distorted guitar?

JB

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yes you will. I'd turn the tweeter off for guitar though. As stated before nobody uses a tweeter for guitar.

5. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Thanks soooo much for your quick replys. Is $300 a good price for this setup?

JB

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    At the same time?

I still use it for distorted guitar. And I use to use it with my five string all the time, my only complaint was that the B string would make the amp break up at loud volumes; you might want to think about using a different cab if you intend on going loud, I used the amp first with 2X15 and then a 1X18.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes!

8. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Looks good. Ya, the cab and the head in one pack. I can't say how much this helps, thanks again guys.

JB

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Well lets see, the last time I saw a HD 130 for sale [guitar center] it was around $399.00 for the head.