Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a tweeter?/Tweeters with guitar distortion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jagboy, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Sorry if i spelled that wrong. And I have the option to buy a Music Man HD-130 130 watt tube head and a 2x12 speaker cab (?) For $300. I am wondering if I can put a guitar through it with high distortion if it doesnt have a tweeter/tweeter is off. Thank you

JB

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes you can and [almost] NO ONE USES TWEETERS FOR GUITAR! Running a bass through open back guitar cabs is what you shouldn't do. My first amp was a hd 130 and I have never had a problem playing a guitar through it, in fact it is actually a better guitar amp then a bass amp.

3. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    So can I use the HD-130 for 5 string bass and distorted guitar?

JB

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    yes you will. I'd turn the tweeter off for guitar though. As stated before nobody uses a tweeter for guitar.

5. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Thanks soooo much for your quick replys. Is $300 a good price for this setup?

JB

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    At the same time?

I still use it for distorted guitar. And I use to use it with my five string all the time, my only complaint was that the B string would make the amp break up at loud volumes; you might want to think about using a different cab if you intend on going loud, I used the amp first with 2X15 and then a 1X18.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes!

8. Jagboy

Jagboy

Sep 21, 2004
    Looks good. Ya, the cab and the head in one pack. I can't say how much this helps, thanks again guys.

JB

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Well lets see, the last time I saw a HD 130 for sale [guitar center] it was around $399.00 for the head.