Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's a vintage sounding 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Aug 11, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm looking after one to combine with my berg nv425

MAybe 2 1x12's?

I was thinking aguilar, what else is out there?

2. Bag End S12-B or D series.
    Epifani also has a single 12 without horn as an extension speaker available.

Cheers,

BEAR

3. My Avatar B212 with just the 12's running sounds like "fast" vintage. By that I mean there is a good amount of clarity and tight response from the delta12-lf but the low mid emphasis gives it a vintage tone. Adding the tweeter (or in my case the 6's) totally changes this cab to a high-fi kind of unit.

I have never tried Bergs, Aguilar, Epi, EA, Accugroove so take what I say for what it's worth.

4. Yeah something about the midrange on my Avatar B212 makes it sound very old school, especially with my Deluxe P-bass and Peavey head. I'm playing alternative metal but I feel like I should be jamming out to Skynard and Eagles tunes. With some EQ tweaking and the horn up it can get a modern sound.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bear how does your Ampeg V4BH run with the Bag End S-12B, S-15B?

6. Very happy with the V4BH and the Bag Ends.
    Depending on the gig I will sometimes use just the S12-B, which is incredibly tight and punchy, or the S15-B for a larger room and the amp runs at 8 ohms. I use both cabs, with the switch set to 4 ohms, for larger venues and outdoor gigs.

Our band from the late 60's early 70's just did a reunion gig with three other bands from that era in a huge indoor tennis facility. I brought along my rig because we were doing an everybody onstage encore for a few songs at the end of the concert. During the afternoon soundchecks the first two bassists used the backline rig from the sound company. Eden WT400 and an XLT 4x10.

Our band was last in the soundcheck and did two quick songs. Two of the other bassists came up immediately afterwards and asked if they could use my rig because they thought the tone was to die for. The other band, 14 pieces including horns, was using sequenced bass parts and could have cared less. They ran through the Eden rig and it sounded very loose with no mids and no pitch definition. I checked the EQ while I was waiting for our set to start and it was set to what it sounded like, smiley EQ but the highs were lacking too.

I do use the smiley EQ occasionaly on the V4BH, frequency selector at 3 mids at 3 (9:00) but with a Rickenbacker and Pyramid flats I still get midrange punch galore. I find the deep switch to be very useful with a pick.

I also use a Jersey Girl Hustlemaker so I can stomp and bring in low mids and/or treble as needed.

BEAR

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm infatuated with Bag End at the moment. Running a D10D-X and it freakin' rock's. (this from a self acknowledged JBL 15 " Biggot) The tone from the 2x10 is very vintage. Full without being muddy, clear without being brite, punchy without a bunch of fret clack...

It really doesn't sound that impressive until you are in a band context and then you go 'oh, yeah!' that's what it's supposed to do ... So I'd love to get my hands on the D12cab to put below the 2x10.

The other option in a truly vintage 2x12 is going to LDS or to Jenkins for a replica of the Fender small sealed 2x12 and load ing it up with EV's or JBL's. Truly vintage and with the right head, while it might not be the loudest rig on the block, it will be the sweetest ... IMO the right head is a Showman or an Alembic pre as it has the same tone stack. I gigged with one of those cab's and a Showman, 4 horns, drummer and a guitarist that had an actual Gibson Charlie Christian, like from the 40's and an early 60's Twin (we are talking mega-blues tone here...) The Showman and 2x12 w/JBL's was magnificent... and on loan. I hated to give it back... and I've lusted for one ever since.

8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I'd get a pair of EX's.

Which would put you at 2 ohms (isn't the 425 4 ohms?)

9. For a truly vintage 2x12 cab, I would go with a Fender Bassman. The last one I saw on ebay went for $350.

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Not really vintage but the Eden 212 is VERY nice

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is my gigging/studio rig...it's a bassman 135 head w/bassman 70 2x15. It sounds very old, and I LOVE the tone I get from it. The only problem is projection :spit:

12. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Another vote for the Eden 212......

They flat out RAWK!!!!

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. I wathced that one. I'm in PA investment mode at the moment the GK is my last bass acquisition for a while. You must mean another individual with the T'Funk...

IMO the Avatar and Eden cab's while great cab's, aren't vintage tone in the least. Those are typically modern, very full range cab's. I would think that they would not pair well with the original poster's NV 215. Too much conflict in the low end. I experienced that with a MM 2x12 I recently offed. Great modern stand alone cab but very difficult to pair with the 15's in my rig. The natural mid's of the BE 10's do pair real well with 15's though.

14. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Where can I get bag end cabs on line?

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Bass Northwest usually has them in their used gear section. (wwww.bassnw.com) they have a 2x10 at the moment. Not sure if they are a new dealer for BE or not.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    +1 for Bag End and Eden.

I don't like the Aggie 2x12". Sounds nice inside ten feet. Sounds like mush off the stage.

17. Yeah, I was actually referring to anyonefortennis (the comment in parenthesis was the only comment for you), but it could have all applied to you as well I suppose.

Anyway, as mentioned, you can find new (and used) BE cabs here:

http://www.bassnw.com/contents.htm

BassCentral (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/bagend.shtml) also has BE cabs new and used.

Scratch what I said about the adding an 8 ohm cab (it was late). The NV425 is 4 ohms, which means you can't add on any additional cabs with the Thunderfunk. Why do you want to add on to the NV anyway? Is it lacking something or is not enough volume?

18. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

It's mostly a volume issue, I might just get another t-funk and an nv 215. That would absolutley sick!

19. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Now *that* is a great idea!