What's All This "I Suck!" Stuff?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mchildree, May 29, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've seen many of the players here make this statement in various threads. You know...humility is a great thing, especially in talented, experienced players, but I can't see any honor or good purpose in making statements like that. Okay, so you're just getting started or you aren't as proficient as Jeff Berlin or Dann Glenn or other well-known players...that still doesn't mean you "suck"!

I'm a firm believer in the concept that if you repeat something enough, you'll come to believe it yourself. Confidence is a great equalizer. Although you should realize that you have shortcomings (as we all do) and want to work on them, also remind yourself that you have strengths and emphasize those.

My sermon for the day....
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Nicely put, Mike, and something we need to hear more often. Thanks :)
  3. I have never stated that I suck on bass.

I have stated, in the past, that I hope I never consider myself a good bassist.

I believe that I have some level of proficiency, but my standards for defining a good bassist are so incredibly high that I cannot at this time call myself a good bassist.

It gives me a goal to aim for, but it also allows me to remember that there is ALWAYS someone better out there.

4. My Mom says I am great!

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    One of my favorite old sayings is, " No matter whether you believe you can or you can't, you're absolutely right."

Sucking is relative. Especially in the hills of Kentucky. :eek:
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It is kind of nauseating when it's disingenuous.

But sometimes it springs from hearing someone who is so gifted that the experience is massively humbling.

If people are going to "flaunt their humility," I'd rather people overstate their suckatation than their virtuosity, (like a couple of bozos we've seen in the last month).

Being mediocre like me has it's upsides :D As long as you're good enough to give yourself and others an opportunity to experience pleasure from what you're doing, that's all that matters.
  7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    My thoughts EXACTLY... Someone should use this quote for a sig line..
  8. Perhaps, if they really feel that they suck, they should take up another hobby. I agree with the observation that if you say it enough, you will eventually believe it, and that will reflect on your ability to get better. A good attitude does not necessarily involve being a braggart, but a little positive thinking goes a long way. In keeping with this philosophy, I want you all to shout out the following, everytime you feel less-than-gifted.....

... the gospel according to X
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have just enough understanding of what i am trying to do to realize how far i am from being able to do it and where and how i need to improve and practice to get there. this is good, though, and i hope it continues - as i improve as a player, hopefully my understanding of bass will also grow, so that i can see more areas within which to improve.
  10. Well, in a way we do suck. That all depends on who we compare ourselves to. Someone who's been playing a year will most likely "suck" compared to a pro. But also, a person who's been playing a year can also own compared to a person who's been playing two years. It all depends on how much time you spend practicing.
  11. we say it for the same reason girls always say they're fat: we want compliments. i'd rather claim that i suck and be contradicted than say i'm awesome and be contradicted.
  12. He he. My Mom says you're great too!
  13. :eek:

Tune in next week for part 2 of: "When Insults Go Horribly Wrong..."
  14. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    General, your Mom must be a helluva lotta fun at parties!
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"Being mediocre like me has it's upsides :D As long as you're good enough to give yourself and others an opportunity to experience pleasure from what you're doing, that's all that matters." (RickBass1)

Gee, does this mean that Fieldy is an all right bass player after all?
  16. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I think that when you are on a BBS we have to be very careful about saying 'I'm gifted' etc cos someone may ask you to prove it. One might be a very big fish in a very small pool (ie local club scene etc), but there is always someone better. I use the word advisably cos 1 it aint a competition and 2 you can learn/steal from them.

And the point? I think that many people are genuinely depreciative about their abilities and whilst I dont remmber using the word suck I know there are way better bassplayers than me here.
  17. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    I agree with DanceHallCrasher. If you say you suck, and you don't really suck, then people will be like "hey, you don't suck, you're really good. I wish I could play like that. Can I have your autograph?" Maybe not to that extreme, but everybody loves a compliment.
  18. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You know Fieldy must be pretty great to constently get so much attention. Here at TB, we talk about the guy so much that he must have made a profound effect on all of us... :eek: maybe he is God?

Regading the topic... what's wrong with sucking anyways? My wife *censored* and then *censored* and if I am really lucky *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* ... Hey, don't look at me like that! Everyone has to have a hobby.

19. [​IMG]
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, I repeat myself so often(playing-wise)'cause I have exhausted what little original thoughts I may have once possessed.
    I have also played with guys(IMO)who didn't suck; really, I'm just thankful you guys allow me to participate at this site.

...think I'll bust out my copy of Amadeus 2-night.