Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats an Accidental?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Timbo, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Sorry if this is wrong place, didn't see a better place..
    But yeah, what exactly is an accidental?

2. If IIRC, an accidental is when a note appears in a piece of music that is from a different key you are playing in. For example: if you were playing a song in Eb Major, you would have the flats of A, B, and E. An example of an accidiental would be if at sometime you had to play an E natural.

EDIT: Accidental = Playing a note not in the key signature youre playing in.

3. In sheet music, it's a note that is sharp or flat....but not from the key the song is in.

Look at an A major scale:

A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Now look at the sheet music for a song in that key.
    The C# and F# and G#occur naturally, they will have sharps (or flats) on the ledger lines by the staff. That's how you tell what key the song is in.

But if the song has a spot where an Eb is played, for whatever reason, just that note has a flat symbol by it. It's an accidental.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I see. Thanks for clearing it up. So the reason for using accidentals would be to what, color the song up?

5. It could be:sticking in passing notes as you walk up: E-F-F#-G

or sticking a chord in, to add color as you suggest, say an A7.

Or anything to add variety or accomplish something outside of a plain vanilla major scale.

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I see.. I see.. Thanks again. :bassist:

7. Getao

Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    also, sometimes the natural key center of the song will change for a very short period of time, so the key itself wouldn't change.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I think it is interesting that nobody chose the simpler key of C to use as an example key.

9. there just trying to show off ;) :D

10. No, it was because C doesn't have any natural sharps or flats to compare the accidentals to...

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, but you could have said:

The C major scale is CDEFGABC, right? Well, any note that isn't in the key -- for example, any sharp or flat -- is an accidental.

Two sentences, bub.

Two sentences.