1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's an Ampeg SVT III worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunger, Apr 26, 2006.

1. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    Hello,

I have an Ampeg SVT III Pro that has served me well for 5 years. . . it died recently, and I've replaced it. I'm not a soldering iron ninja :ninja: , but I opened it up to take a look.

When powered up, the big round transformer in the middle crackles. I figure that might be the main issue.

Ampeg says they estimate the repair to be in the $150-$200 range. I'm wondering if it's even possible to sell the amp as is. I've moved onto another amp, and am not terribly motivated to fix this one. What would it be worth given the risk?

Are there any good repair places in the San Francisco Bay Area I can take it to?

-'Chung

2. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Sorry to say, but I doubt that you would get much more than 'scrap' rates for it as is...too many unknowns for the buyer.

Either get it fixed at Ampeg-their rates are way more than fair-or give it to a needy bass playing friend and have them pay to fix it.

just my .02

Kim

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If it's in good condition, probably in the neighborhood of $450 - $500.

So if you can get it repaired for two bills, you can make a few bucks on a sale.

If you plan to sell it "as-is", you'd probably need at least a shop diagnosis and repair estimate, so the buyer can see what his total price for a working amp would be.

4. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Well then, that settles it, I'll have to get it fixed and then sell. :bassist:

-'Chung

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I picked up mine through a fellow TB'er a few months back for about $450. You might be able to get more than that on eBay if it was in good shape AND all original. I'd be a bit more hesitant about dropping a lot of money for somehting that has been repaired, but that's just me. After getting the repairs done, you still should be able to make some money on it.

6. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I just sold mine for $500 and I probably could have gotten a little more if I'd made the effort.

7. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I thought Ampeg (SLM) just charged a flat rate for repairs. They only charged me around $110 to replace the circuit board and one side of the power amp in my SVT4.

8. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I think you are right. Anyway, I was always told by their local dealer's repair tech to just send it to Ampeg if there ever was a problem because their rates were hard to beat and they had the best knowledge of the product. They always took good care of me.

Kim

9. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Good to know. I think I'm going to just mail it in to St. Louis Music then. I have been trying to contact some local techs, and have not gotten through. Makes sense that they could do it faster/cheaper than anyone else. They have all the parts right there and know the circuits well.

-'Chung