1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats an easy bass to throw a Dark Star into?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duke2004, Jan 13, 2012.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Looking to put a Dark Star into a relatively inexpensive bass without any routing, prefer the P bass position. This is the typical single coil which-looks-like-a-humbucker DarkStar that i am lucky enough to have gotten from Fred a while back.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    You could buy the Dark Star'd Ibanez Artcore that I'm selling, then sell your pickup. :D (Seriously, though: if it's never been used, it could fetch a real premium.)

Cheap basses there are plenty. Cheap ones that fit a Dark Star without routing, AFAIK that narrows it down to possibly certain DeArmond models.

But IMO a great pickup like that deserves to be in a top-notch instrument. FWIW the platform I seek for my Dark Star pickup is a good but not-vintage P-bass. (The standard P rout is actually wider than the Dark Star, but that can be concealed with a blank pickguard.)

3. hilobaytrading

hilobaytrading Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2004
    I plopped a couple of Dark Stars into a Peavey T-40 without doing any routing. I had a custom pickguard made and everything looke good. I'll try to attach a pic, but I haven't done this in a while.[​IMG]