Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's average pay for a gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jennifer, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    In your neck of the woods, what is the average pay for a gig? If you answer, please state where you are from.

Around here (western Illinois), it appears to be about $300 to $500, regardless of how many are in the band.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yup, same thing here.

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Where're you at, man?

4. Around here, depends on what night of the week.

I get paid $100 to play a two-man gig on wednesday nights.

The guitarist/singer gets paid more, but he's the front man.

FF

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hi Jennifer,
    I'm not too far from you (central Illinois) and your right on the money for clubs $300-$500. you can get $600 but you better draw a crowd. outdoor fairs and festivals are $700-$1000.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Sorry, I forgot to say where I am. I live in new hampshire, but my band plays in southern new hampshire, northeastern mass, and a few places in maine and rhode island.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's about the norm in Dallas, unless you are a big name or it is a special event, such as new years, big outdoor festival, etc.

8. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Out here, NC area, it is common for $100, if nobody knows who you are, and you go to places that aren't that popular. Then as you become more well known you graduate to higher paying gigs, and more of them.

9. Wait a minute.. you can get paid for a gig?

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Here in Boston area it's all over the map, depends on musical style (original rock pays less than top 40, blues pays better than jazz, etc.).

Some of the smaller clubs pay only $150, period. Some pay low money on weeknights (my last time at House of Blues the take was only $250 for a Thursday night) and more on weekends. Then there are the clubs that will pay $500-700, so my current band (8 pieces) can actually make $75-100 a man.

The economics definitely tilts towards smaller bands. My 8 piece NEVER plays in Boston proper since noone can pay us enough. We gig heavily outside of the city, though, as far afield as New Haven, CT and Portland, ME and have no trouble making enough money...but we could make even more as a quartet :)

11. Hey, am I the only union cat in here?

In Toronto, union scale is $42 an hour, with a 3 hour minimum call (that means you get at least $126 even if you only play for an hour). Rehearsals are $36 or thereabouts (I can't remember exactly, since the rates go up a bit every year or two).

Most of my gigs are scale or better - so an average 3 hour gig gets me about $130-$160. I get more for longer gigs.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My band back home got about $200-$100 a show. Just small stuff, backyard parties and whatnot.

This fri. my band up here (green bay woohoo) is gonna get about $100 a person, and there's four of us, so that's not really bad at all. Our singer knows the guy who owns the place, which means we'll probably get free drinks, too! Not that I would ever drink, mind you... :rolleyes:

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd agree with what's been said so far. We have a weekend gig that pays $200 (a real cheapo) in the East Bay Area. Within San Francisco then you go up significantly.

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well..........I´ve only 3 times gotten more than 12 dollars for ANYTHING...but the highest was 300 dollars a head...the other gigs were about 30-40 dollars..

15. In Columbus (OH) we've made about $50 average, and there's five of us, but we just put it in a band pool...yippee!
    Then again, we're just starting out and we play all originals, cover bands tend to make more in general.

16. You get paid for rehearsing? Who pay you?

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    $300 to $500 here in Portland, OR... Regardless of the number of band members

-robert

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Our standard rate is $350 ($50 a head), but we'll work for $1,400 if we have to. Usually we get about $200 ($28 a head) for loose casuals ... you know, housewarmings, parties, etc. We don't give much of a rat if we get paid at all. We operate at a net loss anyway. We just work cheap to bother the "pros."

::: donning Kevlar suit :::

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The stuff I do goes from $150 to $300+ per musician. It's special events/corporate/weddings type of stuff. I have a wedding this weekend and gig in Fayetteville (I'm in Md) the first week of April which should pay well.

Playing in clubs kind of lost it's appeal for me. I never really played stuff that I liked, more what people knew...and could never get a core group of musicians to stick together. Too much drama.

As it is we play a pretty wide variety of music, though we haven't done a Screaming Headless Torsos medley...yet;)