Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's bad about L2000's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 28, 2005.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I've been looking into getting either a stingray or an L2000 and am pretty much sold on the L2000 but am curious as to what people have to say that is negative about them (aside from their weight or look). Any issues with these g&ls?

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I can think of 3 negs...

a) You might feel that it needs shielding.
    b) Initially, there's a mild learning curve to the switches.
    c) They can be addictive, leading to multiple G&L purchases in rapid succession.

Obviously, number C poses the greatest threat!

Enjoy

3. Not a thing. except that they are criminally overlooked in the marketplace.

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

What's bad about them? Compared to what?

The reasons why I've sold L2Ks in the past (I have one now) are that in series mode (the mode I like):

1) they have so much low end they can be difficult to control. The bass cut helps. But it can be difficult to get good low-to-high string-to-string balance without setting the bass up for series mode.

2) the upper strings/highs can be a bit subdued/less-than-totally-clear. It can make it hard to get G (and sometimes D) string notes to cut through a dense band mix.

Now there are ways around these problems. Like:

- use the bass cut to control the lows and/or tweak the pole pieces to work for your preferred setup
    - switch to series mode for better balance and more cutting highs

So while they aren't perfect they are very, very nice basses (no, you can't have mine) and for me are far better than most of the competition. That said the G&L SB-2 is probably my favorite G&L these days.

Stingrays are also excellent basses. Personally I prefer L2Ks (and SB-2s) but you may not. Personally if I were going for a Musicman bass I'd be looking hard at the Bongo and the upcoming 2-pickup Stingrays and Sterlings.

5. I wish I knew about that one before I bought! :help:

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    They're not the most gorgeous basses. Not bad looking, but not winning any awards. That's all I've got and that's just an opinion.