Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats best for a cheap multi effects pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZeroSkaten, Feb 4, 2004.

1. I was wondering about different multi-effects pedals that are around the $100 range. Could anybody suggest any and give their opinions?

All help is welcome.

Evan :bassist:

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, if you're serious about playing bass, multi-effects, especially those priced up to 100 bucks sound awful.

I'd rather have one good-sounding effect than a garbage can with many effects that sound repulsive.

Bass, unlike guitar, doesn't let you get away with cheap effects, IME. The real money and effort by effects makers is invested in guitar effects :crying: because the $ in the guitar market are so much larger than bass.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which is why most of my pedalboard consists of primarilly guitar effects with a couple tweaks or so to make them more bassworthy.

As far as multi-fx...my opinion is that you avoid them at all costs. Most are very hard to use and the sounds just aren't worth it.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    While I have an individual pedal setup, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with multi-fx as long as you remember they're a compromise.

Also, getting a multi-fx is a good cheap way of working out what individual fx you like so you can maybe later go down the individual pedal route and buy those effects you really want/use.

In the range you say, I'd say your best options are:

Digitech BP200 - built like a tank, ok fx
    Zoom BFX-708 - built like a toy tank, to my ears better fx than the digitech. but it's built of plastic, so not that sturdy for live use.

Or... get a Digitech BP8 used. One of these used is great value for money, and a great way to get into fx. That would be my recommendation.

5. I'm using a BP200. The first thing I noticed was that the patches sounded great over headphones, but thru an amp, it just wasn't good. Slightly blurred. I was bummed and didn't use it for a long time.

I found out that this unit is like it's own preamp (preamp strength output), and running into another preamp (the one in my bass head), they fight with each other and the sound suffered.

I glimmered something on the internet and instead of running into the normal guitar jack, I ran it directly into the "Power Amp" jack on the back of my bass head (thus bypassing the heads internal preamp).

Whoa!!! Nice. Now it sounds clear, like it does thru headphones. Some of the factory patches aren't too good. The fretless patch and settings aren't worth a poop. But most are good.

I've since bought a seperate power amp and am using about 15 of my own patches (mostly modified ones from the Digitech website that users have sent in.). I'm very happy with it. However, seperate effects could probably give you better sound. I got tired of all the seperate little effects boxes a while back, all the batteries, all the 9 volt powersupplies, etc., so this one unit is just very convenient.

Anyway, that's my vote for the BP200.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Gotta agree with fig here, I've only had my BP200 for a few weeks and I've had some problems w/ it but overall I think it's worth the money.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got my Digitech BP200 on ebay for $96 and havent really had a problem with it yet.

8. I have a Zoom 607 that I use for practicing and to take along just in case for those times I don't take the board out. I like it better than the 506 because it sounds better and has a control pedal built in and the plastic saves weight. Consider picking up a used Digitech BP-8 for the same money cuz the efx are better and the tube warms things up considerably. .

9. oddity_uk

oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    It depends on what you want the pedal to do really... if you want good distortions/overdrives then forget Zoom, but they can be useful, I have one on my pedalboard and use it for the occasional bit of delay/reverb/chorus/octaver and for its tuner, nothing wrong with it as long as you don't mind losing some tweakability, and the bad reputation that goes with all Zoom multis ;)

Steven

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey, you could even try the DigiTech BP50, it sounds really good, I even use it on stage... its a good buy, unless you absolutley need the whammy pedal, in which case you could try the BP80

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree,the BP50 is a great value for the money.For $80 you get a drum machine ,tuner,headphone amp and the same great Octave circuit found in the Digitech BSW :hyper: (Plus some other halfway decent effects)

12. robareed

robareed

Feb 12, 2004
    the bp200 for the price is great. headphones sound great amp without changes sounds bad. the preamp in the pedal must be turned down if running through a amp preamp. with my hartke 3500 head the out put of the pedal is set to 15 and sounds good or set output to 90 and run into the effect return. I am still looking for a rack solution for this but am having problems.

13. The Zoom 608 works great for me! It has all the stuff that i want on it like the reverbs and delays and stuff, plus i can program a beat like my drummers and get some stuff written easier. It's pretty sweet!