Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's better? Crest's LT Series or Crest's ST series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm a bit confused on what's better. I've been impressed with Crest thus far. My CA-9 is stellar.

Info I could find comparing the two

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've owned both and they were both great amps. The big difference is in weight. The LT (with its toroidal transformer) is about 15lbs. heavier than the ST (switching power supply). I loved them both and found little sonic difference between the two. I found the LT to be just a little bit "punchier" and the ST to be very smooth.
    What I really liked was dropping 15lbs. out of my rack set up when I went with an ST!
    Both were great and seemed like bottomless pits of power (1000w per side at 4 ohms). I eventually realized I would never use that kind of power for even loud club gigs.
    I gave up the rack thing and went with a regular amplifier.
    One other thing, I don't believe the ST amps are available anymore. They were discontinued almost two years ago and you'll probably only be able to find used STs.
    I hope this helps.

3. I think you have the better one already. :cool:

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Matt I own an Iamp800 as well. How do you think the ST compares to the Iamp in terms of wattage and umph. I know my Aguilar DB680 + Crest CA-9 is absolute heaven and it sounds a lot ballsier than my Iamp. However the Iamp is quicker and "Smoother" sounding.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I honestly like the warm low-end and midrange punch of the Iamp800 better than my previous rig. It is a little warmer overall, yet has better clarity and articulation than my old set up. I did two head to head trials (no pun intended) with the Iamp800 (an older version which didn't float my boat and my new version which I really liked) before buying a new one and I have never been disappointed with the volume I get out of it.
    I'm sure the Crest could have "theoretically" been louder if I added more cabs or chose to turn it up to "stupid-loud" volumes. The group that I was playing with and my current band have good PAs and the venues I've been playing have had very good systems and sound-persons. Having now figured out how to properly EQ and run the Iamp, which took a few go-arounds, I am as loud as I'd every want/need to be on stage even for outdoor shows and big club gigs. 800 watts through two CXL112s is loud enough where it literally moves the clothes I'm wearing if I stand too close to my rig. That's with the input and master at about 6 or 7. Plenty loud! With every show and rehearsal, I tweek my sound a little bit more to my liking and I'm really feeling good about it.
    Will the Iamp800 stand up to the sheer volume of your Aggie/CA-9 rig, probably not. What each player has to ask themselves is "how much power do I really need?" and "how loud do I really need to be on stage?". To each their own but as I've mentioned before in other posts - 800 watts, fantastic tone, killer EQ section and 19lbs in a padded shoulder bag is pretty sweet!

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's the current model equivalent of each of these amps? The CC series and the CD? Does anyone know the improvement of the newer versions?