whats better- d'addario XLs or DR nickel lo-riders????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 30, 2004.

1. what is the best for warmth. bluesy tone.
  2. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    First off, you're going to need to try them to really know ;) Your bass and amp and technique and what type of music/venue you play will all contribute.

XL's are much closer to DR Sunbeams. The XL's are very clean and balanced, maybe too sterile, the Sunbeams have a little more "charachter" and cut through a little better but are very similar in tension, sound and feel to the XL's.

Nickel Lo-Riders are higher tension (they are noticably harder to play)and they have a bigger low low-mid presence then either the XL's, or Suns.

I have a modulus Q5 which already has a big fat low end and I felt the nickel lows were a bit too much lows, so I took them off after a week. If I had a less gutsy bass, maybe the lo-riders would have been perfect (I know some people love the Q5 lo-rider combo)

I'm using Sunbeams now, but I am considering switching back to XL's just to see how they compare, again (now that I've changed amps, yet another important variable has been mucked with)

Then there's Slowwounds (slightly more mellow than XL's but more pricey)
  3. ...and discontinued :(
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think for nickels you can't go wrong with slowwounds. I can't believe they disconntinued them, what a bad move! My fav is DR LR SS. The tension reduces after a week or two and the hex core gives it a soft bassy tone, but yet the SS gets a good bite and cuts in the mix.