Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats better than a Bass Drive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sunburstbasser, Dec 29, 2003.

1. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    After my Big Muff and Drivetrain got fried, I'm in need of a new OD pedal. I liked my Drivetrain more than the Muff, so I thought maybe a Bassdrive. Are there any effects for less than that price that are as nice? And has anyone used a Drivetrain II with a bass? How was it? The old model was pretty cool, if there isn't really a noticeable difference in quality I'd rather get the 'Train and save $100.

2. Digitech X-series bass drive, very nice and versatile pedal :)

3. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Well I do have to say that the true bypass on the bass driver (I am assuming you mean the fulltone) makes it a very special pedal, coloring your tone as opposed to a more stock sound like most other pedals. I really like the bass driver, and haven't heard one like it, although others do get some cool sounds.

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

If you like the drivetrain, why not just get another?

As for the bassdrive: the first time I played on in a store, I was *not* impressed. I didn't see what the fuss was about. A couple years later, I encountered the pedal again after messing more seriously with tube amps and the like. This time I was blown away. The thing sounds amazing. I never realized how important distortion could be for my preferred bass tone. It also feels amazing. It's very touch-sensitive and so you can go from clean to mean by using your hands.

Now, the pedal is worth much more to me than I paid for it. It's the one pedal I wouldn't gig or record without. And no other overdrive sounds like it to my ears or feels like it to my hands(though I do love many flavors of fuzz).

So is the fulltone worth it? Yes, without doubt. Is it what you need? That's for you to decide.

Best,
    --JES

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm also a huge fan of my Fulltone Bass Drive. I've tried a few pedals and found good distortion, but for my needs, the Fulltone sounds far better than anything else, including the EBS Multi Drive and Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the DriveTrain II, it was ok but not nearly as good as the Fulltone.

If you look around ebay, you should be able to get a used bassdrive for $120-$130. FYI, there is a new version of the Bassdrive which has a three way mode select switch.

7. JES

JES Supporting Member

There is? I couldn't find information on the new bassdrive on the fulltone site. Can you post a link?

--JES

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The BassDrive section on the fulltone website hasn't been updated, but here's the info from the FullDrive page:

It kind of slipped out unnoticed, I only found out when someone here posted a thread about it when they got a new one.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104828

9. JES

JES Supporting Member

thanks. Now all is revealed. I don't think I'll bother switching up, though. I generally just leave it in comp-cut mode. They were right in that thread, though: it gets really distorted if you want it to.

--JES

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Your own, custom built, Ezikiel 25:17 dual distortion, preamp pedal of course!

/smug mode off

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've got a BassDrive, and to be honest, doesnt impress me all that much. i used it with all my basses, and thru my Aguilar DB680 or Kern IP777.

what am i not doing and missing?

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't think you're missing / not doing anything. It sounds like it's just not the sound for you.

I think there are some pedals out there which do a slightly better overdrive - the ebs multidrive or barber deep fryers do a slightly bassier o/d.
    But I wanted a two channel pedal, I have a few songs where I'm going between mild o/d and heavy distortion a lot - I guess I could do that with looper loops but I wanted it in a single pedal. The BassDrive best met my needs.

edit: Joker, it wouldn't hurt for you to say what settings you're using and we can tell you what we're using. It's unlikely it'll make much of a difference, but worth a try

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What are you expecting...and, what does it not appear to do for you?

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i'm just going for a thick, furry, overdriven bass sound. something that fills up the empty midrange when the guitarist takes a solo in our trio.

if anything, i'm trying to nail Jimi Goodwin's tone from the hidden track 13 on the american release of the Doves' "Lost Souls".

i'll crank the overdrive, and it still doesnt quite sound as furry or overdriven as i'd like. if i hit the boost cranked, it gets close, but i'd still like more. maybe its cause i'm mostly using it with the volume relatively low. about 9:00.

is it supposed to make my bass sound freakishly overdriven, or does it just add a mild warmth, which it does rather well. but my rig is pretty darn tubey warm as it is.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't call this a pedal limited to a strictly mild warmth. While it obviously does a great job at that, it can get quite a bit more distorted.

Have you played around with the Comp Cut/Vintage switch? If you switch to vintage, you might need to boost your volume to about 10:00 (or higher), but the tone gets more compressed and crunchy. The boost adds even more crunch in this mode (less of a volume boost, though).

Play around with different settings for a while. You'll find your tone.;)