1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chuck_o, Aug 26, 2007.

1. chuck_o

chuck_o

Apr 19, 2007
    -crappy bass/killer amp
    -so so bass/so so amp
    -killer bass/crappy amp

2. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    to many***** i can't under stand the ******* question

3. the first one

4. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    A great amp can help the worst bass sound decent, but the greatest bass will sound bad through a crappy amp.

5. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT

Aug 22, 2007
    BROOKLYN
    a good amp can make a crappy bass less crappy

6. I would take the crappy bass and killer amp too.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    yes.

8. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    KILLER AMP, CRAPPY BASS.

Amps are HELLA expensive, Basses, Not as much. Go for the KILLER AMP and crap bass. Because hella awesome amps make crap basses sound better. that can be lived with.

9. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    HELLA Expensive? :p I love that Cartmen statement! I say save up your money and get a good bass AND good amp. Unless you're broke and will STAY broke for a long time that is. (Young ... no job, that type of thing) It's never worth having crap equipment! :cool:

10. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Do not buy worse bass than Ibanes GSR 200,
    if you can afford something like OLPMM 2 or Yamaha RBX 374 - buy killler amp.
    If you can't - buy a killer bass, and crappy amp.
    When you play at home you don't need a thundersound ( it just must sound properly ) but you must have a playable bass.

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    If you have a crappy bass that feels bad to play that wont work. you've got to want to pickup the instrument.

I guess i say so so bass/so so amp. do it progressively

12. All the money on the bass, A decent combo, and I do mean decent are not that expensive and won't hurt tone.

The bass makes the sound the amp makes it louder.

bad bass, good amp > Crap in, crap out, only louder. ( as dave says not to inspiring, i agree 100%, this sucks, i'm giving up)

good bass, headphones > quality. (wow, i love playing this, it sounds hot, i should keep practicing)

Each to their own, I'd not in a million years pick a good amp over a good bass.

To answer the OP, good bass / good amp but if money is short i'd go the bass first and get a cheapy behringer combo until you can get whatever cabs/amps suit later.

13. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19

I just want to give a +1 to this AND to give big ups to someone who knows his "Stuff" - great group!

14. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    How about good bass/good player and run through the PA:bag:

15. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    depends on the guy doing the "front of house" ;) I'd trust the guy we recorded our albums with...

But I'd take a good bass over a bad amp anyday! like the others said: crap in->crap out...

16. tips

tips

Jan 25, 2007
    Haifa, Israel
    killer bass and a crappy amp is my choice, cuz playability is more important to me then sound

17. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The amp is the last part of your signal chain so it had better be good. There are more than a few amp makes that always sound bad to me no matter what bass is going through.

But, you need a good instrument too to play well. So, if restricted to the choices in the original post I'd say so-so bass/so-so amp.