what's causing this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anomalybass, Oct 18, 2004.

1. I'm having trouble keeping consistant punch w/ my current bass rig. I'm using a peavey 500w 4/10 cab w/ an ampeg svp pro preamp and a crappy 400w power amp I got from my guitarist. When I'm standing right next to my rig it sounds awsome. It's got the tone I want and great punch. When I'm 10 feet away it sounds like crap. The tone is still decent but there is no punch. Is it a frequency thing, or maybe the amp I'm using? Any help would be great. BTW it's a 5 piece metal band and I'm playing alot of ryan martini style bass lines.

Sorry, this was meant for bass, not double bass.
  2. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    :hyper: :hyper: A martini should never be made with rye, only Vodka or Gin & just a drop or two of Vermoth.
    I like mine best with Vodka, Kettle One brand is very nice.
    My basslines always sound better when listeners have had a few of these too, they say it makes my cabinets sound "extra punchy", even at great distances as well!
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    and whatabout "un 'ti punch" avec du rhume agricole, du citron vert et un chouia de sucre de cane... still punchy, no ?
  4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

The sound you hear on stage is not what you hear at 10', which is not what you hear at 25'. For more exhaustive explinations i would defer to the various pa experts on the forums.
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    just a thought.
    set your mid freq at #2, set all bass knobs flat, use the eq to cut a touch at 150-200, and boost a touch at 600. push in the bright switch and turn down the tweeter. set the gain knob just under when the led lights up, use the drive knob to bring back in some bass. this worked great with a modulus bass, your bass will be different but it might be a starting point.