Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats causing this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anomalybass, Oct 18, 2004.

1. When I'm standing right next to my rig it sounds great , but 10 feet away it sounds like crap. I'm using a peavey 4/10 cab w/ an ampeg svp pro preamp, and a crappy 400w poweramp my guitarist gave me w/ a peavey cirrus 5. When at least 10 feet back the tone is alright but there is no punch. I'm in a metal band and incorperate alot of funk, jazz, and tapping when I play. Am I just asking too much from my rig trying to play this technical in a metal band, or is it just trying to find the right preamp setting? It sounds great on recording.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I think its the 10's you use. I use 10's as well, and they just don't throw low end as far as 15's or 18's. They are made to sound better close up.

My opinion, 10's are best used in either small venues or for stage monitoring only, when you are going through the PA. If you need to fill a bar with bass from the stage, go for 15's, they'll throw farther.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have to disagree with you Eric. I use 10's and have no problem filling small to medium bars. I think anomaly's problem has to do with setting eq standing right next to the rig. Being that close, you are not hearing an entire waveform develop. I would suggest standing about 20 feet away and set eq based on that sound.

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ditto.

Ted

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    double ditto

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What kind of sound are you after? A good set of 10's should get your high end and midrange "out there", if not maybe check out a nice set of Bag End's or an SWR Goliath or something. The 10's won't necessarily give you that crushing low end at 50 yards, for that you'll need bigger speakers, maybe 15's or 18's. Most of the time for indoor purposes, like clubs and such, I go with a 15 and a 12. 10's are a little too dinky for my tastes, 'cause I like the fat bottom, and heavy bass like old JPJ and Entwhistle. And the 12 handles the high end just fine. The 15 will get the low end "out there", and it'll get real fat without complaining too much. Also for funk and slappin', the bigger speakers handle the low frequency transients more gracefully. You can get a fuller sound from farther away, with the 15's, at the same volume level that makes your 10's bottom out. So, just a thought. I went round and round with the 10" cabs, and finally realized that the bigger speakers were what I needed. :)

7. Thanks for all the input. Truth is, I do set me preamp right next to my cab cause I dont use any pedal eq that can get far away from the stage when tuning my sound. The sound I'm looking for is ryknow all the way. I play very similar to him using funk and jazz in a metal band. I have played on an Ampeg 6/10 though, and the punch was perfect 15/20 ft away. I was even using the same amp/preamp setup I ended up buying. The only difference between their rig and mine was they were using a sonic maximizer that made it sound extra punchy and overall badass. But even w/ that turned off it blew my setup away. Another thing that I can't understand is I compared my cirrus 5 to one of those wood finish neckthrough passive peaveys on an Ampeg classic svt, and the passive bass sounded better for funk and fingerstyle playing. I just couldn't make my bass sound as good. ***?

8. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    The SVT-610hlf is what I'm currently using and I'm really happy with the sound. They go for peanuts used (everyone wants an 8x10), I got mine for $400 and it's in great shape.

9. What kind of head are you using?

10. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    SVP-Pro through an RMX 850.