Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats Claypools Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Im reffering to the one in the ad in the latest John Entwistle Bass Player, for his new Frog Brigade CD, Purple Onion.

I can scan if really needed, was just wondering if anyone knew it right off the top of their head? Thx :)

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Carl Thompson

3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Specific model by chance? Or a link to their site? Thx! :)

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    theres no real model.
    Ron Blake builds them I believe now. Carl just does finishing work. Ray roger's actually built them before Ron Blake started.

There is a guy that has kind of a CT site. Search in yahoo or altavista for Carl Thomspn basses and it shoul pull up.

They cost a stupid amount of about 5000-6000 and aren't worth crap in tone.

But they look really GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    Ron Blake hasn't built basses with carl in years...

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    8 years...

he works with ed roman (what a jackass) now building custom basses--- r+b basses. really not sure as to how they play, but some of them look really cool....i dig that claw bass....man.....claw bass.....yummy

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  8. Anyone know what bass Claypool has that has the Y headstock? He used it at his show with buckethead the other day. It had a beautiful flamed maple top, the pickups looked simular to filtertrons (but obviously not) and the pole pieces seemed to glow in the dark. It also had a really bright tone. Any guesses?

9. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    i think he is playing a Kramer 8 string along with his Carl's on the current tour

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I know Ron is building with Ed Roman, but I believe he is still build Carl's stuff as well. I believe it is shipped back and forth. I could be wrong, but Carl doesn't build neck's, etc.

You talk about a loose cannon, CT is one of the greatest :rolleyes:

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the next time i speak with ron, i'll ask him. he usually shies away from telling people about his work...he's probably one of the most humble luthiers i've spoken with. ask him about his work with ken smith! if he'll tell you anything ;) he works on wednesdays at world class guitars, so i'll see if he's not too busy later on. that dude can put them together, though...

12. A Carl Thompson is 100% custom-there is a certain vibe to them, but they are still all custom.

Why do you say that? I've played several, including some new ones and I must say they are the finest basses I've ever played. Beat the crap out of any Fodera I've played.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I've had a number of the both mentioned.

Carl has a beautifull design and the woods in his basses are by far some of the most beautifull.

As for tone of the instrument's, well thats not really a consern to Carl. He builds a bass to be light weight and quite first off, and of course pretty.

Tone isn't really one of those priorities, which is obvious. Nor is the ease to play. The wood bridges look great, but they are very tuff to work with.

he uses all EMG becuase there quite, which isn't all that bad depending on the customer and what he likes. But EMG's sound like EMG's and that all you hear in a CT. The body's are really to thin to give any tone from the wood.

Its all a personal preference, and I've had a number of experiences with CT basses and Carl.

14. banjofreak

banjofreak

Mar 13, 2002
    Let's clear up a few things. First, the site is http://www.ctbasses.com and it is an official site run by a guy named Aaron and myself on behalf of Carl. Ron Blake hasn't had anything to do with Carl's basses in years upon years, other than using the fact that he once worked with Carl to sell his new stuff with Ed Roman. Carl has a team of about 4 guys that work with him in NY and they build all the basses, all by hand and Carl is still very involved with the process. As for tone, you are correct that Carl says tone is not important to him, mainly because he is of the belief that tone comes from the player. That doesn't mean his basses sound like **** though, and I've actually never heard one complaint about the tone on any of his instruments. And playability is a HUGE concern of his, thus the thin necks, lightweight bodies and so on. Lastly, he doesn't use EMGs unless folks specify them, he has been using Kent Armstrong's almost exclusively for years now.

So, yeah. Not trying to be a know-it-all, but it isn't really fair when folks are spreading incorrect information. Not that anyone was doing it maliciously, just doesn't sound like they know the whole story.

15. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Les Claypool has another new band? Jeez..

16. To the best of my knowledge the buyer specifies the pups to be used-I hear he is very partial to Kent Armstrongs though.

I would like to agree that the wood bridges are a little difficult to deal with-they tend to be pretty inconsistent. They're either great or they're terrible.

17. If you're refering to my post about what bass he used when playing w/ buckethead... yeah he does... kinda...

It's only for 3 shows, complete jam band... there was almost zero singing, complete improv. Claypool said no show would be alike. I read somewhere the main motive for doing it was that he wanted to do some music w/ brain, and it'd only make sence that brain would bring along Buckethead, who was brain's motive for signing on w/ g&r. FYI they're making a cd (or video- there were guys videotaping that were part of the crew) that will be sold. So from what they've said it's just a 3 show thing... but so was frog brigade... and now they have a studio album...

Anyone know what bass I'm talking about is? I'm mostly interested in what the pickups are.

18. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    That's pretty interesting..