1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's coming and going XVIII: (We Don't Need) Rehab

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Jan 25, 2014.

1. dzcandemir

dzcandemir

Mar 1, 2011
    Lmao! Oh man... I don’t want my wife to leave me for a multi fx guy though.

2. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    let me know if you ever want to move that Volt Thrower 125B along

kranahan likes this.
  3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a 125B VT and I am pretty not impressed with it...compared to everything else Dunwich I have tried and things like the Locust Star. I have gotten some decent sounds out of it but when I put it next to the Locust Star, the Locust Star just smokes it...and all the other Dunwich stuff I have is incredible...feels like something is up with the 125B (maybe I need to fiddle w the trim pots?). I have never tried the original Volt Thrower (dying to) and have a Super Volt Thrower coming my way at some point in the future...but maybe I need to spend more time with the 125B. Would love to see a photo of trim pots on a pedal that someone thinks sounds killer (and your fav settings). There was some chatter in the Dunwich thread when these first came out that they didn’t quite hold up to the OG bigger brother.

4. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    My technique is to spend way too much building the ultimate board while leaving no room for additions, which "forces" me to either trade one for one or to keep the same board for years before doing a complete makeover. My last chain stayed the same for 7 years. Now, I am in the midst of the redo. I'm blaming Covid, the latest Stomp updates, and the availability of smaller, more effective midi controllers and midi controlled pedals for this one.
    Pinto signal chain2.png
    *Black = instrument; red = midi; blue = switch; green = exp

Might add an analog overdrive before putting this together. Tempted to ask here for recommendations, but I know that's a very slippery slope.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    :thumbsup:thanks for taking the time to assess and respond.

kranahan and shaggy45 like this.
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Appalachia Mark likes this.
  7. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    I have one. It’s exactly how you describe. No balls really. All sizzle without substance. Looks cool. It’s appealing but it can’t hold a candle to the LS in any application.

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds fun

kranahan likes this.
  9. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    will trade for original VT or Sunray :roflmao:

I should add I traded a Darkglass for it so I still consider it a win.

shaggy45 and BunchyMutt like this.
  10. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Which DG? I love my Hyper Luminol and get consistent use from my Vintage Ultra v1

11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After I posted I pulled out the 125B volt thrower and the Locust Star (and a Wizard Fuzz and a looper)...and dug in. I will say that I didn't really give the Volt Thrower a fair shake since I plugged it in alone first and really dialed in some really nice grit...then I clicked on the Locust Star...and sizzle is the exact word. The Locust Star has a sizzle to the growl that the Volt Thrower just doesn't have. That said there are many applications for each and I can see the sizzle being a turn off (it's not a turn off to me).

saltydude and kranahan like this.
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Per the 125B VT....
    They sound nothing like the OG VT, and they are not exactly Rat like. The original run was super dark. Nick came up with a mod to get it closer to the OG VT (the issue was the mid control...it completely changed the sound). I had sent my first run 125B in for the mod. It helped the sound tremendously. I LOVED the sound after that.....and of course I ended up selling it because I was in a place of trying lots of dirt pedals. Would LOVE to have one of the modded ones back again (no idea how to tell if they are modded by Nick or not though..). Don't go into it expecting a Rat sound and you may like it.

cosmicevan, saltydude and kranahan like this.
  13. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    B7K Ultra. Hated it. Couldn’t squeeze what I wanted out of it unless I had brand new strings and that was a stretch.

theunknowndude and BunchyMutt like this.
  14. I had the same issue with my alpha omicron and moved it on... it just sounded so mush / sizzle / something lacking that had no issues with every other dirt pedal on my board... dead strings and my bead fuzz will still tear your head off...

15. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
  16. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    kranahan likes this.
  17. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    3 offers in under an hour. People are desperate!

Peaveylover and gh0st42 like this.
  18. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Yep, the Delusional Dunwich Brigade at it again. Don't get me wrong. In my day, I was a Dunwich head. I had an amazing collection of rarities and one-offs, all of which I stupidly sold off about a month before he made his retirement announcement. And while I'm sure Dunwiches are selling for more these days, I have a feeling the brand was so small and so niche that the resale values are actually a lot lower than the asking prices we're seeing. Regarding the 125B VT, I had two. One on the original run and another used one I bought later with a Germanium diode. IMO the Germanium was the magic diode in that pedal and it just was only used AFAIK on the one 125B that I owned. I never really miss my Dunwich pedals at all, having found that the hype was just that in many cases...hype. But I always found Nick to be a top notch businessman and in my limited dealings with him a very good human being as well. Having said that, I don't think Dunwich will have any particular cache going forward, and I think that prices are coming back to earth.

19. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I went overboard this month.

Coming: 2 LBA 2020sesesesss, Electrofoods Nepenthes V2 in green, Broughton Locust Star, Sushi Box Particle Accelerator X, Death by Audio TSA 2

Going: something from the above list probably I hope don’t hope

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  20. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    Dang!

That's a bunch of tasty scores!

kranahan likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021