"What's Commercially Viable?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 31, 2002.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am in the Detroit area. We have all the formula stations, "Jazzy", Classic Rock, commercial rock, and top 50 hit stations.

If I want to hear blues, jazz, classical, rock 'n' roll, it's all on Public Radio, a few Canadian stations, or it's not on. Or, you may be lucky and have a great college station.

Are these American creations, and the classical European relatives commercially viable anymore on "the Radio?"

I say NO! Whaddya think?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I say - download the free version of Realplayer on your computer at the very least, click on "Radio" and hear "real music" instead of "formula, knuckle-dragger music."

Lots of very good stations, (especially college stations) who aren't required to pay for Fred Durst's next prostitute or Bon Jovi's next sex change operation.
  3. XM Satellite Radio is also pretty good in this respect, and is blessedly ad-free.
  4. P. Aaron

I know those options are available. This is a vein of thought related to the "How far have we Fallen?" thread.

...That what's original American music has no commercial viability.

If you want great radio, you have to pay for it!
  5. I want to say that this is a bad thing, but I think ultimately the "golden eras" of radio have been anomalous. I mean, commercial FM had what, 5 good years before it started to suck?
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    And they all say that the picky regulatory body for radio and TV in Canada is a bad thing. Seriously, I can't complain, Toronto has a solid Jazz station (with news from the BBC world service!), a couple good classical stations, two college stations (with blues, jazz, reggae, world music, underground hip hop, underground dance) and a couple solid classic rock stations. All this as well as your usual alt-rock, pop and adult-oriented stations. On the whole not bad...
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't see the point being made here? :confused:

I got Digital TV a year or so ago and there are now hundreds of digital radio stations available to me - something for everyone - whether fundamental Christian, Fundamental Muslim , Gay , etc .etc.

I now have access to about 900% more diversity of radio than at any time in the last 30 years!! :eek:
  8. P. Aaron

But...Bruce, you have to pay for it.

Original American music in the form of Jazz, Blues, Rock'N' Roll, or Classical, cannot glean enough listener support to keep the advertising dollars there to operate a commercial radio station. It may be obvious, but it's sad.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

No - they come free with digital television - I pay for the TV channels I want, but there are digital systems where you just pay installation and then it is free. There is no charge for digital radio stations.

The introduction of digital, has allowed many more radio stations to appear and you can buy a digital radio and get loads of them for free - or as I do, get them free via your digital TV.
  10. I also have digital TV and, although it might be different for you, the digital radio is part of the basic package. A basic package I pay $$ for. But since I would be willing to pay the same price whether the radio stations were there or not, I guess free could apply, or maybe I could call it an added bonus.;)
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - I actually pay for a package to get the Sports channels and see digital radio as just a free bonus. But the BBC introduced "FreeView" in the UK this week, which gives you free access to Digital TV and loads of Digital radio channels.
  12. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Actually the CRTC has a very stupid and out-of-date (IMHO) system for classifying genres of music, which probably does make it more difficult for stations to diversify. When I was working in college radio, that system was a downer for EVERYONE, in that at some point they'd have to play stuff they wouldn't have otherwise.

But, I hear the FCC in the U.S. is even stricter... :eek:
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Commercially Viable NON!!!

Commercially Viable SI!!!