1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's comparable in sound to a Pedulla Buzz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I messed around with a Pentabuzz many years ago and was floored by its sound, and that neck! I've not touched one since then, but the sound it produced has stuck in my mind.

I recently picked up a Carvin fretless, but to me it sounds totally different (still nice) than what I recall of the Buzz.

In your opinion, what other fretless bass has a similar quality to its sound?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Mamoru

2. Frenchdaddy

Frenchdaddy

Jan 24, 2009
    Thonon France
    Based on specifications of the Pedulla Buzz bass, one can imagin that the sound of a bass with a neck through body construction; bartolini PUs (do you remember whether configuration was PJ or JJ) and a Bartolini Preamp should not be too far. The main remaining issue is the wood used for the body which is maple on the
    Buzz.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    TMARK likes this.
  4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Modulus?

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Don't forget the polyester finished board plays a big part in it as well.

Honestly I was a tone chaser for years trying every combo in a bunch of different basses trying to imitate the Spector tone. Pedulla has a cool sig sound as well that is hard to duplicate. IMO, your better off biting the bullet and spending the coin on the bass you want. You really wont be happy with anything else.

6. It's DEFINITELY the fingerboard that's the key to it's tone.. I played one back in the late 80's,and the tone STILL resonates clear as a bell in my mind. Those basses are that good. IMO,of course.

TMARK likes this.
  7. Comparable to a Buzz: Another Buzz. :D
    I was also floored by the first one I picked up- it seemed to play itself, nicely & in tune(that's how I knew it wasn't me ;)).

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And the finish on the fingerboard plays a big part IME. The key components are body woods that produce a strong full range sound, pickups that don't get in the way of the wood, neck construction type could be any of the ones available, Maple's probably a good choice for neck wood, good construction overall is key and the gloss board finish.

Used Buzz basses seem to turn up often enough (and usually very reasonably priced), that's probably the easiest way to get exactly what you want.

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

^^^This. Nothing else sounds like a Pedulla Buzz Bass! Every time I play one I am not only impressed with how good they sound, but also with how distinctive that sound is.

joebar likes this.
  10. The specs of a Buzz aren't magic.

I managed to get the sound in this bass. Note the pickups and polyester finish. There it is.

DSC00751.

11. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Pedulla Buzzes are fortunate to be one of the bass types out there that have a unique sound.

This written, a Zon is the most similar I can suggest that isn't a fretless with a coated fingerboard and Bart pickups. Of course you can order a Zon with a coated fingerboard if you so desire.

12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm thinking a soundclip woulda been more convincing than a picture... :)

13. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

Sounds nothing like a Pedulla, lol

Attached Files:

14. EMGs and fretted. Bart plus a finished fingerboard. It's not magic.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Agreed.

Mike P. was the first to put the resonant wood, relatively transparent and full sounding pickups and preamp and a finished board out there on a larger scale after Jaco did his thing on his Jazz. It's not magic. I get that vibe (and more) with either of these, not that I'm suggesting the OP get one...

DSC07925.
    DSC07940.

Maple board, Bart singlecoils, Bart NTMB pre, Maple neck, Ebony board with gloss polyurethane finish. Easy.

fretless5.

Catalpa body, Bart quadcoils,NTMB preamp, Maple neck, Ebony board with gloss poly finish. This one hits ridiculously hard, even moreso than my six.

Mike Pedulla took the Jaco thing to the next level. My basses take that to the next level. Fun stuff.
    :D

16. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Totally disagree. It's a lot more than what pickups you run or fretted / fretless.

17. Rounds, polyester coated fretless, Bartolini P/J pickups. Not much more to it than that.

18. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Accept the woods used and the bridge. Don't forget about the rest of the bass. All part of the soup.

19. Modest tonal impact compared to the options I've been hammering home.

20. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Have you ever played a pedulla? Or played one without the highs and mids rolled completely off? If your just going for boomy type sounds maybe everything does sound the same. If your tone has any definition there is a world of difference you can't possibly not hear.