Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats enough power in an amp for small gigs?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Big Bopper, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Yea, right now I'm using a 70 watt amp just to jam, but when I'm playin with my friends it's definately not loud enough. When I asked one of my friends who is really a guitarist, but plays bass on the side, how powerful it should be he said 70w was more than enough, but I wasn't really satisfied with that. I then asked my second cousin who plays bass how much I should use all he said was the more the better. Now my question is how much is good enough for a small gig at local parties, auditoriums, and concert halls?

2. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Put this post in amps for an answer.

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Oh, and welcome to talkbass! :D

4. Speaking generally, the amount of power you NEED (as opposed to WANT) depends largely on who you are playing with. You should try to have a tad more power than your guitarist in order to get the right level. Really, then, it depends on what your guitarist is playing through -- otherwise 70 watts is pretty good.

Of coures, in a few minutes when other people see this post of mine, I will likely be blown out of the water. I'm not a wattage addict myself and don't have tons and to spare (if you get my meaning). I'm happy with a mere 110 watts out of a Carvin head (c. 1973). Some bass players consider
    3 000 000 000 watts insufficient :)