What's fair?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So, without disclosing names or anything, I made a trade here through TalkBass with a guy who had a perfect 20 score here on TB and like 300 or something on eBay. Very VERY open communication between the two of us about the 2010 American P-Bass deluxe I was shipping to him for the 2010 Stingray 4HH. We sent pictures, I even sent a video of me demoing the bass, the whole 9. All went great and smoothly. We each rec'd the basses today on the same day (practically the same time). Mine was well received (a little setup from the shipping is needed, but otherwise fine). His arrived totally fine too. In fact, the most protective packing job I've ever seen! Excellent at every level ...

BUT ...

As I was about to change out the strings on the Ray, I noticed some scratches on the top of the heads stock (see below) that he never told me about. He said that he didn't notice them before he packed it and shipped it. Everything else about the bass is as he said - in fact it's near new ... other than these scars.

The bass I sent him was near new too ... sans scars of any sort.

I want to keep the bass because it nicely rounds out my collection, plays like a dream and other than the headstock issue, looks practically new. My concern though is that if I sold the P-Bass for cash I would have gotten (purely for argument's sake) $1,000 because it's practically mint. Let's say, without the scratches, I could get $1,000 for the Stingray (again, for argument's sake) but the scratches bring the value down ...

So, dear Talkbass friends, what do you feel is a fair way to handle this? I don't want to spend another $60 to ship it. I don't really want to give it up because it's a top quality bass. What would you say is a fair resolution?

2. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Photos.

Attached Files:

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Going from Fender to a Stringray is a HUGE upgrade. You made out like a bandit. You'll eventually scratch it up anyway.

4. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So, I'll take what you said with a grain of salt (MMBONGO). And, I do agree, I MAY have scratched it eventually... I am a weekend wannabe rock star bar band bassist...

5. I would say the fair thing to do is talk with the TBer about it directly, and work out a resolution with him. One on one. Man to man. Bass player to bass player.

Versus, you know, airing it out in a public forum.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I would take some 600 grit sandpaper and smooth them out then apply a small amount of clearcoat, sand, polish and play.

7. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Which is why I didn't name names... I just want opinion. The guy has been more than fair (as have I). I respect your POV on it too, Ghostdog. Totally. I want this to be anonymous. I am just curious what other Bass Players think is fair.

8. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    And, for the record ... you guys have quickly made me realize, it ain't that big a deal ... Does it play well? Better than any SR I've picked up in Guitar Center. So, that's really what it's all about...

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Not clearcoat, rather Casey Birchwood oil and wax. Or is the headstock actually clearcoated on those?

10. Agreed, and she'll be good as new. Nice bass bro.

11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Wow. This is a non-issue. Forget the scratch. It's a totally fair trade. You should be a happy guy. Just play it, man! :)

12. godblender

godblender Inactive

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    Personally, I'd be a little miffed about this. To me there is no reason NOT to mention any kind of scars/blemishes on an instrument you're selling...particularly a "mint" one worth that kind of money. I also don't think the OP has done anything immoral by bringing this up on the forum. He hasn't mentioned who the other party is, and simply wants some outside opinions.

I've owned quite a lot of instruments and I have to say, I've never NOT NOTICED scratches like those on the Stingray. Sounds like a complete BS response to me. Good luck with everything, though. Hopefully he's cool about it and everything works out well for you.

13. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    You can buy a USA bass on ebay for $500. Respect the great deal and shrug off the scuffage. Unless you're walking around pointing it into the cameras like Motley Crue nobody will ever notice.

14. godblender

godblender Inactive

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    Ha. Nice.

15. He may legitamitally not known they were there. If he has kids, one of them could have damaged it and not told him. Or maybe guest over, or maybe a band mate fooling around with it while he was outside smoking. No telling where they came from and it's likely he didn't notice them. I'd say ask him to cover the cost of having it repaired and be done with it. Any luthier can fix that to knew with their eyes closed, so it should be a cheap fix.

16. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    U guys rule. Thanks.

17. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Not an issue. Move on and enjoy your bass. Apply this to every other area of your life too. Small scratches don't matter.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This!!! To the OP, you got a bass in trade that is easily worth $500-$700 more than yours new; you should be very happy!:)

19. I'd dab some Tru-Oil on there, it'll blend in and you'll hardly see it. Not a big deal.

20. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    For an MIA P-bass Deluxe? It runs $1500-$1600 new, while an HH Ray runs $1470-$1680 new. (Both price ranges taken off of Musicians Friend.)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021