1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's "flat" on Ampeg SVP-Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Mar 8, 2002.

1. As with the Alembic F1-X thread starter below, I find that my Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp is not nearly flat with all the controls halfway up. However, the Ampeg, to my ears, has the opposite of the Alembic's issue -- the Ampeg is TOO middy, and not transparent ENOUGH. I recently switched from SWR to the Ampeg, and am having a lot of trouble getting the clarity to which I'm accustomed for playing fretted basses.

OTOH, the midrangey-ness makes my fretless G&L L-2000 go "WHaaaaaaaaahhhh" like no other amp I've ever tried. . . .

BTW, I play thru a Bag End S15D cab, if that's a factor. . . . any advice on getting the SWR-like tone out of the Ampeg when I want it?

2. I have an Ampeg SVP-BSP and it also has a bit of a midrange bump.

Have you tried the SVP-PRO playing with a group of people? You might find that midrange boost helps you get heard against g*itarists with smiley-faced EQ.

IME what sounds good playing alone doesn't sound so great when you're complementing (or competing with) a few other instruments.

allan

3. . . . I haven't played out with the preamp yet (my incredibly lightweight Clarus/Flite rig sees more use because I'm lazy!).

Maybe I would be happier with the Ampeg in a thick mix.