Whats flatter EA VLs or Accugroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Apr 20, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a EA VL210, and I really like the sound. But Accugroove specs are really interesting......just want to know what you guys think.
  2. I own two accugroove tri 110's...they are verrrrrry nice. I have played the EA's and if portability is a big factor EA is the choice, but if you like sound, go with accugroove.

I might sell one of my tri 110's to get a Phil Jones 9b, but this isn't going to happen at least for a couple months.

3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Take a look at both the Frequency response and Sensitivity of the Cabinets. If a cabinet has a higher sensitivity it will be louder with the same amount of Power. Remember that it takes twice the power to increase the sound by 3db. So a cabinet with a 97db sensitivity pushed by 400 watts will be about the same volume as a cabinet with a 100db sensitivity pushed by 200 watts.
  4. Aren't both cabs flat.... i mean theyre retangles... aren't they???

....Someone had to do it. :D
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'm not sure how to read this post in light of what you said about the Accugrooves in this one:

"If you like sound, go with Accugroove...." even if they fart out at low levels???

Am I reading things wrong here?
  6. It is an awesome cab...and I am not certain that I am going to sell one of the cabs anyways. I have 2 of them, so I am not giving up on accugroove, but I would probably sell it after I bought the Phil Jones 9B, if I end up buying one. Like I said, Accugrooves are the most amazing sounding cabs I have heard, but I haven't heard the Phil Jones yet.

Needless to say, my love for Accugroove hasn't dampened any, but a Phil Jones 9B is louder, and lighter than a Junior Whappo, I just want to see what these things sound like. Phil Jones has some stiff competition in an amazing company like accugroove.

I am sorry if I confused some people with my conflicting posts. I wasn't thinking with my head, I was thinking with my GAS.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Are there any websites that have more information on Phil Jones' cabs? I am not familiar with them.

Thanks, Tom.
  8. Both of these cab makers are what I consider "State of the Art" in bass cabs today. When you consider the fact that people use anything from a single-15 to a 4-way studio monitor, it is safe to say that in the relm of bass speaker cabinets, anything goes. The only way to know which one is flatter would be to set them in an anachoic (sp) chamber and do a series of frequency tests using a computer and the appropriate software. Then and only then could you have scientific proof as to which one did indeed have a flatter frequency response.
  9. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Very true GreyBeard.
  10. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've owned EA cabs, both the VL110's and 208's. They sound good, plain and simple. I really don't understand why it's so important to have a cabinet be "totally" flat. Close seems good enough. Up until now, the EA's were the best sounding cabinets I've owned.

I like the way that my used Epifani 310 sounds. I also just picked up an Epi 212 (arriving next week some time) in an effort to get a little more booty yet still only use one, semi schleppable cabinet. I'm hoping that and don't want the two cabinets to sound the same. If the 212 has more bottom end "coloration", more ooomph so to speak, and has a little more ballsy mid lows, and mids than the 310, that would be fine with me, even if that would mean the cabinet is less "flat."

I just think there's too many other factors needed to be dealt with that have more of an influence on one's tone and how one sounds live than the cabinet. The AccuGrooves are much more efficient, but I was never at a loss for volume with the EA's. My Epi's are 102 or 103 SPL? or DB rating...whatever...bottom line more efficient than both the EA's I used to own....but, it just means that my Epifani's are louder at the same wattage, In otherwords, with the EA's I had to run my master volume at 3.5 to 4, and the Epifani needs 2 to 3 for the same volume. Big deal.

As soon as the acoustics are crummy or lousy in a room, all of our reasoning for seeking a perfectly flat cabinet goes right in the toilet. That what a preamp, eq, and tone controls are for. You adjust your stuff to fit the room. If I'm playing a room that eats highs for lunch, a cabinet that's flat will need more of a boost on the high end than one's that accentuates the highs to begin with.

What's the big deal? We all have to adjust. I would say that having a flat cabinet doth not maketh for less adjustments. I would say it maketh for different adjustments. And so what if I have to adjust my almost flat cabinets a little more here and a little less there? I'll still get a great sound out of them regardless.

What I'm saying is that I feel the Epifani's are a nice blend between the company's saying they're perfectly flat response and those we know are "scooped" in the mids. They're considered "hifi" sounding.

They're a good value on the used market. So are EA's. AccuGrooves will also be once people decide to buy and later, sell them.

I just don't feel that "perfectly flat" or high efficiency is all that it's cranked up to be. The combination of gear that sounds "good" consistently in the most venues, at the volume you need to play I think is a better indicator of a cabinet's gig worthiness than flatness or high efficiency.

So, sorry to pontificate, I do it once a well to stay in shape, to answer your question, there's likely not to be enough difference in flatness between EA and AccuGroove for anyone except under a sterile microscope of the test lab someone told us about before, for any normal person to hear, but the AccuGrooves are more efficient and more expensive, and possibly a "better" one cabinet solution if that's important to you.