Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Flea's Bass for this track?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Feb 2, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I was wondering, does anyone know what bass flea used to record Around the World? I heard that he used an Alembic bass. i'm not really sure but I really like the tone ^____^; Anyone know the effect pedal(Distortion,fuzz,muff) pedal he might be using for that song? it could be like a Muff+Distortion thing, since in the verse it sounds like the bass might be muffed. Thanks for the help

DM

2. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Well, no he doesn`t use an alembic. He uses his Flea Bass from Modulus and his Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive.

Best wishes,

David

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Joiner: well because I knew Flea used Alembics in the past (Aeroplane i think was recorded with Alembic). I know he used an Alembic, Stingray and a Wal.. it could also be the Wal bass

DM

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    he has also used spectors, i dont think he records on the Flea bass....maybe. He could get a MUCH better tone w/ an alembic or spector, or even a 'ray. i always thought he just used the flea bass on stage and videos because he gets a big fat check from modulus. from what ive heard the modulus isnt very good(the flea bass, that is). he does use the ODB-3 though

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    basslax: thats what I thought also.. I remember he used Spectors too!! yeah most people get endorsed for basses to use on stage.. not really for recording.. Most people use the bass they want for recording, and most people can't tell the sounds of basses. But I thought it was his Wal or Alembic..

DM

6. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Actually i _believe_ that Around the world is recorded with the Modulus Flea bass. Flea used to record with spectors and Alembics mostly (like One Hot Minute is alembic and wal all the way except on Aeroplane. That's a stingray right there. check http://www.bassplayer.com and fleas interview. Blood sugar.. was recorded with spectors and stingrays. That can be seen on the Funky Monks video.) Anyhow i believe that around the world is done with modulus. Just listen to those fills! That sound has to come from graphite necks... or at least it could..

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    sorry guys, you are wrong.
    i know flea, he recorded that song with a rogue violin bass and without any pedal.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought that it was a Jay Turser!

:D

9. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    It's a Hamer I tell ya! A Hamer!