Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats Fripp Packing??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by page, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Just wondering if anyone knows what kinda gear Robert Fripp uses?? Guitars/pedals/effects/amps etc.....
    Thanks a million.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I wanted to research this myself... I'm turning into a prog geek all of a sudden. Yesterday alone, I bought "Court of the Crimson King" "USA" and "Thrak" adding to "Red" and "Happy with what you have to be happy with." Long long way to go before I catch up with Benny Strange.

His tone on Starless is amazing, it's so fuzzed out yet laid back and clean.

3. I think a shorter list would be "what doesn't he use"?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Robert Fripp isn't packing anything anymore. He has officially retired from touring ever again. KC may record, but will not tour. Poopies.

5. WHAT?!?!?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Where YOU been?! :p

brad cook

7. Real sorry to hear that.
    The first concert I ever went to was Black Oak Arkansas and King Crimson in Indianapolis. King Crimson was finishing the night with 21st Century Schizoid,Man and was almost done, when the whoever was in charge decided the show had ran too long and killed the power to the stage and brought up the house lights.
    Well the place went wild and the only way to stop the near riot was to let the band finish. They proceeded to start the song over from the very begining.
    I'll never forget that concert.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hasn't Fripp retired like 3 times now?

Figures, whenever I get into a band, they disband/retire. I'm so hardcore. :(

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    As far as I know he's never made the declaration that he's done with touring. That's the main thing...he just doesn't like touring anymore. It used to just be that he hated touring in England. He's been hinting at this for a few years I believe. I'm glad I got to see them once at least...back on the original Thrak tour.

brad cook

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Fripp made the declaration a few months back right after the last G3 tour. He says he's tired of touring, and has officially retired from doing so. I don't know what this means for the future of KC, but it's looking pretty bleak.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hey, the guy's been at it for 36 years now, I don't blame him one bit. If you have ever done even a small amount of road work you'll understand how tough it is to do and remain human.

If we are VERY lucky maybe he'll get interested in doing more of the small scale shows like he did before reforming KC in the early 80s.

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Crimson were recording in Nashville last year at Adrians studio with Tony Levin in place of Trey Gunn. It seems kind of silly to record and not have a tour to support. As far as gear, he was playing a Fernandez Sustainer LP,and who knows what in the racks.Anybody that has never seen Crimson should check out the Eyes Wide Open DVD.I saw them here in Atlanta on that tour and it was a very unique experience.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well if a band has a following like KC a tour is nice, but you don't need much help getting the word out.

Frankly, I blame all of this on the Tool fans (not really, I just want to bitch) with their idiotic fratboyery and hatred of all people 30 and older.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think, overall, the audiences at the Tool/KC shows were pretty good (there were some "TOOOOOOL!" shouts at the two I went to, but there was also attentive silence during "Deception of the Thrush"). At least from the band's written perspective. It sounds like they have a much harder time with audiences in Europe and South America that expect to hear old material.

But, from what I've read it's more that RF has given up touring, not KC. I'm not saying KC will tour without him, but it was RF's personal decision that the touring lifestyle (such as it is) is no longer worth it for him.

P.S. you can read things straight from the horse's (not to be confused with the Little Horse's) mouth, here.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    back on topic - I think the guitargeek setup is still pretty much the core of his rig. The Eventide and TC 2290s were there when I saw him late last year.

The 70s gear was a Big Muff, a wah-wah some times (don't know which - or maybe that was David Cross doing some distorted wah-wah violin that I'm hearing in my head), a Les Paul, and a HiWatt stack I think?

16. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Fripp is packing his brain.