Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's gauge string to use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by puppet654, Jul 28, 2000.

1. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    alright, I've gotta get new strings for my bass, it's a Squier P-bass, the problem is, I'm new to the string thing, so I don't know what the gauge thing is all about, I want my strings to be tight, so should I get something with a high number? I want D'addario nickel strings. I want a bright sound but without much finger noise(I hate the sound when my fingers slide on the strings) I heard from a friend bassist that D'addarios are the best he's had, and they're cheap too, so that's cool, I just don't know the gauge. HELP!!!!!!!!

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think the most common 4-string sets are 45-105 gauge sets. The only way to find out what you like is by trial and error.

------------------
    Later!

3. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    man, that'd get expensive though, strings in stores are like $30 a piece!!! I can get catalog strings for like $20, but that ain't much better.

------------------

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by puppet654:
    man, that'd get expensive though, strings in stores are like $30 a piece!!! I can get catalog strings for like $20, but that ain't much better.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the world of bass playing. Strings are expensive [​IMG]!
    If you happen to buy some strings you're not completely happy with, you may have to live with them for a while. You already know what brand you want, so even if you pick a gauge that isn't quite right for you, it isn't going to be a total loss. Good luck!

------------------
    Later!

5. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    I use Elixir Soft, Long scales on my ESP. I love them but they are about $50. The price is worth the long life though. I use .045-.130 gauge. If you can, try not to sacrifice quality for the cheapest price. You will get what you pay for. Think about it.

------------------
    4 U

6. yeah, but price doesn't necesarrily indicate quality or count for preference. I used DR Lo-Riders once and hated them, and I thought they were bad quality. the (in my opinion) horrible sound I got out of the in the beginning only got worse after about a week of playing them. On the other hand, Ernie Ball strings, which are what I currently use, are cheaper, and in my opinion, better sounding and better quality. Unfortunately finding bass strings you like really is an expensive trial and error procedure.

7. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Puppet, you might want to check out Webstrings.com. I know you'll like their prices, and it might be a relatively inexpensive way for you to determine what gauge string you like. As has been noted, the only way you'll figure this out is by buying them and putting them on. If you look, there are always deals out there. Check out Ken Smith's and I believe Musican's Friend has some D'Addario's for like $13.80. Also, zzounds.com; what's nice about them is that there's no shipping charges and no minimum order.