What's giving you GAS at the moment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yawnsie, Apr 25, 2001.

1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    *Adopts sombre, earnest voice over tones*

GAS, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome, as it is known outside of bass circles, is a terrible affliction, scourging thousands of bassists all over the world at this very moment. It can attack at any time, without reason or warning, although those exposed to threads where John Turner posts pictures are especially vunerable.

When an individual is struck by this awful condition, the results can be devastating. Suddenly, that perfectly good MIM Jazz isn't enough - before too long, the victim finds themself lurking menacingly in the Basses forum here, and in any sort of shop that stocks basses. Eventually, they turn into one of those people you see sitting on amps all day playing slap riffs. Truely a pitious sight.

So, you may ask, what can be done to prevent this happening to YOU? Well, the easiest, and most common, method is to give into the cravings that form the main symptoms of GAS. However, this is only a "quick fix", and it's short term gratification soon wears thin. Another method that has proved succesful is to confide in like minded sorts, who may be able to offer support and guidance through these testing times. Don't be shy - if you're suffering, don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help!

*Sobre voice off*

Well, alright, a bit self indulgent. But the thread title is pretty self explanitory, and I wanted to tart it up a bit! :D
  2. Currently, a Genz Benz 250 Watt combo and an Ibanez BTB406 6-stringer... ::drools on keyboard, causing it to spark and catch fire::
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't get me started....:D

Pushic 6 custom
    Carvin RL810 system
    About 15 effects pedals/units
    Some new strings

And get the GAS factor on the Pushic:

Two triple coild soaps (switchable, Series, Parallel, and Phantom Coil), and a Piezo bridge! That's like a total of over 22 pickup combinations! Also, it's gonna have a Bartolini variable mid thing on it, so a switch centers the mid on the thing at like 250, 500, and 700 (something like that, not to sure about the numbers). And I'd get it a/p if I could. And this is in a sixer! This thing is the swiss army knife og bassdom!:D Droooool.....
  4. I got it bad.

Bass Guitar:

G&L L-2500 (Active 5 String)

EH Big Muff
    EH BassBalls
    EH MicroSynth
    Fulltone BassDrive
    FullTone ChoralFlange
    Boss L-2 Line Splitter
    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
    Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ
    RNC Compressor
    ProCo Turbo Rat
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow. Where to begin?

Pushic Custom five string
    G&L 2500
    Warwick Streamer stage 2
    Eden World Tour head
    2 Eden 410 cabs
    US made Spector

And a whole bunch of smaller stuff.

Of course, when you stop and add up how many thousands of dollars worth of gear I am wanting right now, it is understandable that this is all gonna take a couple of years to get. Ain't GAS fun...................
  6. It's great. Just not when you spend time GAS surfing rather than playing with what you have ... anyone been there?
  7. Ahhhh GAS. Right now I'm jonesing for a Henry the 8x8, a Spector, an L-2500 and a Pedulla Thunder 5. I'm in the process of building a fretless, so that GAS is being seen to :D.
  8. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    SansAmp Bass DI and an swr workingman's 2x10 sto stack on my wm15. While I'm at it, a stingray wouldn't hurt.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dude...that's like "do you want fries with that". No matter WHAT you are talking about, you can always...*always* tack that on at the end.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'll second that Ibanez BTB-406.
  11. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    MIM JB Fretless
    or any bass good,"customisable", fretless, with fretlines

A Stingray 5.
  12. I've got GAS for a Hartke 8x10 cabinet.
    And a completely handmade, fully custom 4-string, or a 5 with a high C.
  13. I want one of those new Furman pedalboards with the built in power supply/conditioner! Arrgggh! Getting a fretless MM Sterling would be nice too.
  14. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Where to begin? ;)

Kinal MK5-B
    Roscoe LG-3005

Bag End S15X-D

Aguilar DB-359

Akai SB-1 Deep Impact
    EBS Octabass
    EBS BassIQ
    EBS Unichorus

Bartolinis for my MIM Jazz fretless

non-bass GAS-

Korg Prophecy monosynth
    E-Mu E5000 sampler
    maxed-out computer for HD recording
    Cubase VST/32
  15. EBS Fafner
    (2) Bag End DB-10BX-D (2/10"=Horn Cabinets)

Total Price 2760.00

I have to...Soon!

16. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Dear bass fiery,

As you know I have been a very good bass player for a long time with little reward. I never try out-soloing the soloist, no matter if I can or not. I never play too many notes, tune often, and respect singer whether (s)he deserves it or not, and try my bestist to keep a good groove with the drummer, and I smile on stage as much as possible.

I would like a five string Zeta upright with a midi synth attached
    An NS-Stick
    My Accordion fixed
    The rack mount version Yamaha DX-9
    A sampler with a big hard drive and lots of RAM
    And eight track half inch TAPE recorder
    Sixteen track mixing board with four sends and onboard effects
    Large Diaphragm condenser microphone or two
    Full size ceramic jug with XXX written on it
    A seventy year old mandolin
    An old banjo
    A steel guitar
    A set of vibes
    Percussion tree
    A fender twin amp with a power soak
    A direct box
    A finalizer
    A Sony CDR-66 burner
    SP/DIF cable for my DAT recorder

Thanks in advance
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A nice ABG.

A metal-bodied resonator guitar for Delta slide.

A new 200W bass combo.

Nicole Kidman.
  18. Current obsessions:

Finding a script logo MXR Distortion + for under $50.
    ProCo Rat pedal

I also would not mind the following:

Gibson SG Standard
    Hiwatt 100 watt head
    Hiwatt 4x12 cabinet (with Fane speakers)

Mesa Bass 400+
    Mesa Road Ready 2x15 cabinet
    1972 Fender Jazz
    Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth
  19. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    The SansAmp RBI !!! Woooo-hooooo-hooooo!!!!!!

Gotta have it !!! :D
  20. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Please don't kill me - I want a guitar. :(
    *dodges the rotten tomatoes*
    It's actually for my home studio project. I love to have some electric guitar in it, but the one I own is pretty much unplayable, and its electronics stink (snap, crackle, pop ;)). Well, what can one expect for $80?
    A Yamaha Pacifica 112 would do good. That and a SansAmp GTR2 would make my day on the geeetaaaar front. I think I could use the GTR2 for my bass as well, that would be a big bonus.

So, a guitar, a Sansamp, and new electronics and shielding for my Yamaha. Now you know what to give me on my birthday! :D

I don't think I've been so humble and realistic in my GAS, ever before.