Whats going on here???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ApocBizkit2, Dec 6, 2000.

1. ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000

I got a problem!! im trying to learn bass playing with my fingers... YES IM A PICKER!! but im trying to stop. Now when i play, i get this really off beat sound. I just cant hit right with my fingers!!! it seems almost impossible for me!! I dunno know why im even posting this, i dont know how to explain it! Here let me try to explain.. (lol) If i was trying to play this

I can play it perfect with my pick but i play with fingers it sounds more like:

Because im trying to use all fingers and its a habbit to hit right away. I dunno is there any cure for this lolol awwwwhhh well if anyone got any tips or something just reply (sorry for wasting ur time) lol bye
  2. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    You need a time keeping device like a metronome or a drum machine. That will clean up your rythym.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Try starting out just using your index finger. After you're comfortable with that then just use your middle finger. After you're comfortable with that alternate index and middle finger. If you want to add more fingers later you can but a LOT of bassists only use two, me included. Good luck.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think MJB is right that you need to start using two fingers alternating rythmically, but this shows up the limitations of a forum like this. If we were actually standing in front of each other, each with a bass, I could show you this and look at what you're doing and tell you what's going wrong and how to put it right.

This is why people on here often recommend that the best thing to do is get a teacher for bass - in 5 minutes of looking at what you're doing wrong and showing you stuff, a good teacher could make a huge difference to your playing, but if you just rely on verbal or wrtten advice it could take months for you to "get it"!