What's going on in pop music (around the world)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm curious. I don't really know what's popular in America right now. Last I checked, emo and Britney Spears. What about the rest of the world? Because GOOD american bands seem to be big in other parts of the world, but not america. :meh: So my guess is there might be some decent stuff going around in "foreign mainstream." Even if not, I'm just curious.
  2. Actually, Foreigners are starting to invade again, The Darkness, Jet, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, and The Strokes are getting big here, atleast around where i am , i dunno about everywhere else. And I , a person who tries to avoid mainstream radio(Very Biast) actually like these bands.
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    People who travel keep telling me the rest of the world is stuck in the 80's music-wise. :ninja:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is Limp Bizkit cool yet?
  5. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
  6. los strokes are from new york, dude.
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah, but most Americans view New York in much the same way as 1930's Germans viewed Berlin. We may have to admit, if forced that it is part of the same country, but we really THINK of it as a different world.
  8. most americans? i think living in texas has warped your perspective.
  9. These guys are just about the only new band around that I don't hate.
  10. The Killers are doing well in the UK.
    I'll be buying their album.

Velvet Revolver are in the UK album charts.

a UK band I'm interested in is Grand National- vaguely like Air & Daft Punk, with real bass guitar. "Talk amongst yourselves" is their best known single (the rhythm sounds a lot like the Bee Gees' Staying alive :D )

I was going to buy Franz Ferdinand's album when it came out, but was put off because they became very popular:D
    "Take me out" is VERY reminiscent of Simple Minds' 1979 single "Changeling". their image is similar too- from that late-70's early Roxy Music, Gang of four, John Foxx Ultravox art-rock period.
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'll tell you what I see going on in American rock and roll - There is a huge resurgence of real rock and roll in the mainstream like we haven't seen since the grunge movement. By real rock and roll, I mean hard rockin, yet sometimes trippy, meat and potatoes rock and roll fueled by drugs and sex. The major players are some of the best guys from the last time we had good rock on the charts and they're reforming into new groups. Audio Slave and Velvet Revolver are leading the charge. Proving once again what Ozzy always taught us when we were growing up: "You can't kill rock and roll"
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

12. AMEN ............

and , I didnt really know where the Strokes were from, I just guessed by the lead singers name, some Italien sounding stuff.

And of these new return of the rock bands , the best are: The Darkness(Spinal Tap meets Queen) , The Killers( ELO meets Duran Duran) and My Morning Jacket(Neil Young and Thin Lizzy )
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    King Crimson, Meshuggah, David Bowie, Ministry, God Lives Underwater, Course of Empire, Carson McWhirter, Bavu Blakes, Phil DeGruy, Fela Kuti, John Frusciante, Melt Banana, and OSI are real popular in my part of the world right now. A very small part.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The aussie charts are basically the US and UK charts from 2 months ago. Always has been, and always willl be this way.

Actually TB is great for giving me aheads-up on what's comming soon. So I look smart when I've already heard of "The Darkness" or "Mars Volta" before they've even charted here.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Where the hell part of the world is this? I'm moving.

Wait, you're making this up.

I demand satisfaction.
  16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    is the "Now!" series in the UK up to Avagadro's number yet?
  17. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK