Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's going on with all the celebrities?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 17, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok, maybe I'm getting in a little late about this, since I don't watch TV, but I've noticed that a growing number or musical celebrities jumping on the endorsement bandwagon. I saw LL Cool J rapping about Gatorade yesterday, and Beyonce is bringing Taco Bell/Pepsi cups on stage with her at award shows. It seems that everybody is doing it. Has the corporate endorsement thing lost it's taboo? Is it socially acceptable to do this now?

I remember when MC Hammer was doing the same thing back in the 80's, and he was raked over the coals for it. They called him a sell out, and he alienated his fan base. He was just as blatant as these guys who are doing it now, so what's the difference?

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Does seeing Beyonce drink Pepsi make people want to drink more Pepsi? I don't think so, but apparently it does otherwise Pepsi wouldn't be throwing millions of dollars at her. For some reason I find the whole concept offensive.

Comments?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Sooo, what do you think of Ray Charles endorsing lottery tickets? He did it for the PA lotto, I dunno about anywhere else.

3. did you know that mc hammer was listed as vice president of operations for the oakland A's when he was 12 years old? true story. he used to dance with his tape deck in the parking lot of the oakland coliseum before games so he could buy a ticket. charlie finley (owner of the team) saw him and gave him season tickets. gave him the nickname too, after hammering hank aaron. little hammer was soon old charlie's best friend. if finley was out of town, hammer would sit in the owners box, and give him play by play updates over the phone.

charlie finley was also responsible for the designated hitter, free agency, players with mustaches, golf carts driving relievers in from the bullpen, and a half assed attempt at a designated pinch runner.

4. Ray Charles does/ did Wisconsin as well (is that the same lottery though?)

Endorsements are lucrative. Yoko sold "Revolution" for a shoe commercial. Big stars do commercials in other markets (such as Schwartzenegger's and Jennifer Lopez' soft drink commercials in Asia). Heck, Ludacris was an endorser for Pepsi. (Weed, Hoes and Pepsi- good combo)

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    when i see rasputina endorsing crisco, i just wanna run and get myself a tall warm glass of it.

yummy.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've always thought the practice was abominable. These guys don't need the money that's for sure. My mind was made up when Jordan was doing battery commericals. It's like... 'what the hell does he know about batteries anyway?why would that sway me to brand x?' These 'celebrities' have no integrity other than personal vanity. Why else would someone that makes $20 million a year doing movies or music do a pepsi commerical. These are the true sellouts IMO.

7. Wasn't it Michael Jackson who allowed Revolution to be used in a Nike advert?

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm sure the same company prints off scratch off games for each state with lotto, but they all vary from state to state, if they even have it at all.
    ...and we bitch and moan about cigarette companies nicotine doping cigarettes. The Japanese put it in their energy drinks and make no bones about it!

9. The only thing better than money, is more money.

When I was making 13K a year, I thought, man, if I could make 15K I'd be able to pay off my bills and live large! Then When I was making 15K I thought, once I make 17K I'll get it all together and then I'll be able to eat 3 times a day!!! Then When I was making 20K I thought I'd be able to pay off my car when I'm making 30K...

The more you make, the more you need. Barstar or Supastar, you always could use more money.

10. Probably, but I remember a lot of heat coming on her for it. (maybe she just justified it in the press or something)

I think that's the worst example of licensing horror. These days, we have a song we like, and it means something to us. Revolution wasn't just a song, it was something to a generation. I would look at it for my age group as selling off "Smells Like Teen Spirit" times 200 or so.

11. I was thinking of Megabucks and the like, spread out over a region, while each state lottery belongs to the state.

Is the Ray Charles song "You don't have to play to win?"

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know what your talking about.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ah, yes. Although I remember several PA lottery jingles from Ray Charles, I do remember him singing "it's America's game, the one and only Powerball."

14. I don't know that one, I can think of 2 of them from Ray.

He must be a bit behind on his gambling debts. Ray and poker don't mix. :D

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Excellent!

16. don't be rediculous, blisshead.

[​IMG]

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    touché!

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow, this thread has gone south fast.

[​IMG]

19. come on guys, i have to go to the freaking grocery store... would you let me concentrate for a second?

now let me see...
    gatorade
    pepsi
    superglide
    anusol
    trojans
    lottery ticket
    crisco
    nikes

by the way, i try to never let advertising or product placement influence my spending decisions. that's just silly.

20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

SOUTH, is about right. :D