Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's going on with Incase???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vic, May 18, 2005.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one of their DUB bags (AWESOME!) and was going to order a Slim, but they are no longer making cases at the time being. I got some strange emails from them regarding some sort of reorganization, and they're taking names for a "waiting list" of some kind. Fortunately, I found a Tour bag (last one) and bought it... prolly fits me better anyway.

This seems to me like they're being bought by someone or something. I've heard rumors about something like this, but would like to know if anyone out there has any good info on this.

These are GREAT cases, I don't want them to go away.

FYI: http://www.goincase.com/

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah I know I really really want a dub bag and they've stopped making them, don't know what is going on but I know this is the second time at least they have stopped making that Dub Bag.

3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't know either. I have been trying to buy 2 slim bags for 2 months and can't get a return call or an e-mail. I'm not sure what's going on but any number you call for them always goes to the same guy that never answers his phone or returns a call or e-mail. weirdness.

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Here's the two emails I got from them:

and later when I ping'd her on any left over in stock...
    Strange!

5. ditto w/ me as well. Earlier this year i tried to locate a "Dub" bag w/ no success, however i found a place that had a few slim cases.
    The slim cases are pretty good. I like the tour case better, and I suspect the DUB would have ben what I wanted overall.
    Oh well, its a good product, just hope the company stays afloat.
    I recieved similar emails as well, they were "reorganizing" something to that effect. Guess its taken them a long while to reorganize

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Right about now, I am feeling so lucky for having been able to get into one...

+1

I just found out that the Tour is pretty much like a Slim with the packs off and straps snugged down, which for me, makes it a much better single-bass bag... lots more versatile without being floppy or bulky when I wasn't using the packs. The bottom line is, it seems to be mostly about the DUBs and Tours.

These are very nice, but with 2 basses in there, the outside pouch is snug enough that I wouldn't want to cram pedals in there like they (used to) show on their site. Straps, cords, music, etc., no problem, tho. Thing is, I carry a gear case anyway, so no biggie. However, I did need a single case with more storage when I go "light" (just a gig bag and my little GK 110 combo).

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I had an Incase Dub ripped off at a festival while we were playing (luckily the basses were on stage with me) and I have not been able to replace it. While it's not anywhere near as good, the Gator double bag is the best alternative I've been able to find. Fairly well padded, good heavy duty smooth zippers, handles are well sewn-in and secure, decent front pocket for the non-bulky stuff, but it does have a kind-of-wierd strap arrangement. Like I said, not as good as the Dub, but not bad, either ..........

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I wanna dub bag... :bawl:

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I heard a rumor that Fender was involved at some level on this, but I have no idea if there's any meat to it at all.

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I can't help with finding any more Incase bags, but I would recommend checking out Summit Guitar Backpacks. I have one for my Bee bass and it is fantastic.

http://www.guitarbackpack.com/home.htm

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a shame. I am glad I got my DUB bag when I did.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

12. I was just recently on a search for a new gigbag after mine kinda died. I really wanted an Incase, but after an email to them, I got the same email response that was quoted above. Too bad, as I heard they were great cases.

I did find a case that looks fairly similar, though it's more like the Slim than the Tour. It's a ProTec Contego Bass Guitar Case.

I ended up getting a Ritter RG9000. It's got over 1.5" of padding, though I have managed to find a "weak spot" (the upper horn) where there isn't much protection for my Jazz Bass. I got it since I needed one ASAP and I found this one locally.

I hope the Incase bags go back into production.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow, those Contegos look a lot like the Incase's, but no neck support, no hanger, and missing some other nice (tho minor) features.

And yes, they really are great cases. The quality is absolutely top notch. I have NO reservations about putting any of my best stuff in there, and while I believe in playing what I own (yes, I take the MTD 535 into smokey bars), I'm VERY particular about preserving their condition and protecting from dents/scratches, etc..

14. There's a virtually new DUB bag for sale at Low Down Sound in Detroit.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As of right this moment, Incase has decided to hold off on production of their gigbag line. They are discussing possibly restarting with a re-designed line, but nothing is "set in stone".

We've been using a few recently when we ship a new bass, it is a very nice compromise between a hard case and a gigbag.

We have a few left, but they're "spoken for" presently, as we need them to ship our basses - it's been a tough month for case companies, the company that build our originaly case, Modern Case Co., shut their doors with no warning. Happily, we have PLENTY of LG model cases, a few of the Century, but we're dead OUT of SKB cases. Thankfully, the SKB basses fit perfectly in the Tour Bag, so...that's where the last of those are.

We're in coversation with several case companies for a replacement of the Modern case (it will be the same design, with some improvements), and one of the companies has a "semi-rigid" case in development, that they are forwarding a sample of to us. If this works out, I will let y'all know who they are...

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You know, I had another thought... this almost sounds like a cease and desist, as well. Did Pro-Tec (ptcases.com) have the Contego first, or do they have patents that are an issue here? The Contego is VERY similar in core design (tho not as nice overall).

Yeah, sheesh, I feel very lucky to have gotten Brian's last Tour Bag. Should be here tomorrow/Monday.

I have an LG-3005 and its case is a bit beat. Could you PM me a quote for a replacement, please? Make sure to give me the preferred/return customer price, of course. :)

Thanks for all the info!

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Vic, no patent/cease & desist that I'm aware of. The bottom line, I think, is that Incase just makes SO MUCH money with their other products, the musical instrument product line is just not viable enough for them to be aggresively persuing. Sad, but true, it's probably a victim of "business concerns", despite its being a great product.

That said, I've been eyeing the ProTech Contego case, and have considered ordering one for a look-see. Once I get the semi-rigid from my other supplier, I'll decide if I need to keep looking.

Yeah, you are lucky to have gotten that Tour Bag, there are NONE left at Incase, now. ;) (...a little birdy told me that a small bass builder in the mid-Atlantic states bought the last of 'em last week...:ninja: )

PM is forthcoming...glad to have helped out!

:)

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    While I hope you're right, I noticed that they're entire online ordering, even for OTHER products, has been ceased. They offered a bunch of iPod cases and the like, and appear - at least online - to be ceasing ALL attempts to sell all products.

I sincerely hope they remain viable . . . great products.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Understandable, but still sad. :( The thing is, they're making a waiting list, so that indicates there might be a future for the product... even if it's not with Incase... (fingers crossed)

I'd love to hear from someone who knows the Incase well and really checks out the Contego. Just wish it had that neck support! I really like that.

AH HAH! You sakkafrazzin krabble-fritzin'... Ok, what's your address, oh yeah, that's it... (packs baseball bat...) ROAD TRIP! ;)

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    181 Oxford Rd. Suite 107
    Casselberry, FL 32730

:bag:

;)

...oh yeah, I ain't there no more!

:D

To save everyone some time (and myself a lot of PM's, e-mails, and phone calls), no we will not be selling the Tour Bags we have, as they are our only option for the SKB series basses right now. Sorry guys.

:(