What's going on with Steve Harris???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hitman9696, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Oups, I forgot to quote you in my reply... :smug:

2. So how about his tone in Dance Of Death... nothing changed, and in some case it has gotten worse.

Janick Gers has this to say about Steve Harris:

"...a tone that isn’t normally associated with a bass, it’s more like a rhythm guitar..."

Ok, so if he plays rhythm guitar, then who plays bass??? And why does he need to have a guitar tone anyway. It's not like they are running out of guitarist in the band. I guess 3 isn't enough.

3. whan i saw then the bass drowned out the guitars.

4. Holy crap! How did I miss Steve Harris?:scowl:

5. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    maybe he is just fast when he has the option of multi takes in the studio. and maybe he is sloppy live so they turn him down in the mix... better to not hear him then to hear him sloppy.
    am i the only one that thinks that in ascending bit of run to the hills sounds a bit out of time???

basseux likes this.
  6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Yeah that's what I thought too; then I saw the date of the original post - 2003!!

Up the Irons!

7. Ha! All is clear now!:smug:

8. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    I can testify to all maiden shows I went the bass was way lower than I expected and wanted.

I think most of the time in metal shows or festivals, unless it's a nu metal band like korn, bass is usually undermixed by default.
    It doesn't makes sense to me, because bass is big part of a powerfull metal sound, but that's how many people perceive metal : distorted guitars and drums.

I was wondering that, but after going to many shows in any style, I just think that some sound engineers are just incompetent at what they do.

I went to a Nguyen Lee concert only to see Linley Marthe, and went to the sound table guys and asked them to put more bass.
    They seemed to take it as an insult, and ignored my request.
    Then one minute later I see the guy discretly stepping away of table, and try to listen from another spot.
    Then he did put more bass ...

gebass6 likes this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

THIS.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022