Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats going on...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    one thing i've noticed that is very odd. guitar players can play shows with 100 watt solid state heads. us bass players need like at least 400 watts, and multi-cabs. why is this??? the highest rated guitar amp i've seen so far is the new marshall mark 4 or whatever. its 350 watts. the highest bass amp ive seen is like 1500 watts. why is it like this???

2. It takes alot more power to generate low-bass frequencies.

3. Low frequencies require speakers to move much more distance than higher frequencies. This longer excrusion require more wattage and thus the need for more power. Guitar players get off easy when it comes to amp needs. A 50 watt PV classic can easily keep up with 350 bass amp.

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Not to mention their speaker cabs. Usually they are just an open back box with speakers mounted in them. No tuned cabs or ported cabs or tranmission line cabs or two and three way cabs.

5. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I've got 1500W and I still get drown out by those silly guitarists. They both have 4x12s. Is that my problem, speaker surface area? Or maybe it's the placement of my cab? Anyone got any tips?

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    What kind of cabs do you have?

7. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Avatar 2x10 and 1x15 (rear ported)

I use the 2x10 for practice (standing on it's side) and have it nearly cranked all the way.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    At gig volume a 210 and a 115 is never going to keep up with 2 guitdamntarists each with a 4x12. You have two choices. Get them to turn down (good luck) or get more speakers. My suggestion for a cab in that kind of situation is the SWR 610. Or 2 eden 410 xlt's. You have enough watts but not enough speaker area. I went to the avatar web site. They don't list the SPL rating on their cabs but I'm guessing that they're probablly not that efficient. I could be wrong.

9. So let me get this straight. You're trying to compete with 8x12's guitar with a 1x15 and a 2x10's. Those speakers can only move so much air no matter howmuch power you feed them. My rule of thumb is that I need 2x10's for ever 12 the guitars have. To really hold your own with those guys you need 2x8x10 cabs and the 1500 watts you now have. You probably could get buy with 4x10's and 1x15 but you would be pushing it. So, your least expensive solution at this point in time would be to add another 2x10 Avatar to your present setup. This would give you 4x10's and 1x15. This might turn the corner. jmho good luck.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ...... and a decent set of ear-plugs would be a good idea at that volume.

11. Get an SVT. And an SVT cab. And borrow Petebass' earplugs.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe I'll even clean em for ya first......nah!

13. GreyBeard is right about it being all about speaker area.

Have you considered adding another B210 and a B212? If your other cabs are 8 ohms each, you can order these as 8 ohms also and run your Carvin DCM1500 with one stereo side per stack at 4 ohms each side, 500 watts per channel. The amp will probably run cooler than if it ran in bridged mono, and the volume increase from the speaker area increase will be a lot more apparent than the added wattage from the bridged mono configuration.

Also, for Rick's benefit, the Avatar cabs are reasonably efficient. Not as efficient as Eden, but much more efficient than Acme, for example.

14. THAT is the smartest thing anyone's said in this thread so far. ;)