Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats good?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JoeyJoJo, Dec 4, 2000.

1. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

Dec 3, 2000
    hello, i am new to all the recording stuff. I am wondering what recording equipment is good and where to get it, magazine store. i would probably be willing to spend anywhere from 3 to 6 hundred dollars. thank you.

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    What are you planning to do with it? Are you recording your band or just yourself? Do you already own any other equiptment that could be used in connection with recording (e.g. pre-amps, mics, a computer, etc.)?

3. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

Dec 3, 2000
    yes, i own a couple of mics, and a computer, i am planning on recording my band. what is good for what i want?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how many mics do you own? do you want to record into the computer? do you own any recording/sequencing software for your computer, like cakewalk?

do you have a mixer of any kind?

5. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

Dec 3, 2000
    i do not have a mixer, i have one mic at home and one at college. i dont have any computer software, but i dont want to record into the computer. what equipment can i buy so that i can record without the computer?

6. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    One last question: What is your goal in taping the band? (eg -to record your gigs; to use for recording practices; making demos)

7. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

Dec 3, 2000
    i will use it to record for demos and gigs.

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    A standalone hard disc recorder sounds perfect for what you want to do, but --unless you can find a good one used-- I think they're slightly out of your budget range ($695).
    Although I'm not a big fan of them, you may want to take a look at some of the MD multitrack recorders on the market.
    Another, pretty new, option is the Zoom PS02. I don't know a heck of a lot about it, but my understanding is that it is a 67 mb stand alone, digital 3-track recorder with the ability to do up to 10 virtual tracks. It has a built in drum machine and effects. I've seen it retail for around $350.00. It sounds like it could be better than the MD recorders, but I'm not sure.

Of course, you could stick with a good 4-track cassette tape recorder, such as the middle or higher end Tascam or Yamaha products.

Hope this helps.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Yamaha use to make a 8 track midi disk recorder. I guess you could find one used. I don't know if it's still in production though.

10. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

Dec 3, 2000
    thank you for your help, i shall take your advice into consideration.